Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

How to convince my mom to allow a gap year for language development?

americansushiamericansushi Posts: 73Registered User Junior Member
edited August 2011 in Study Abroad
NSLI-Y is a government funded program that gives generous scholarships for high school students - including gap year students - to study abroad. I am interested in the program for Korean, because I am of Korean heritage but not completely fluent. I'd like to learn Korean to be able to converse with the rest of my extended family (whom I haven't seen in over a decade - plane tickets are mad pricey, yo) and to use in my career (which will probably be a doctor, lawyer, economist, diplomat or international businesswoman - Barney Stinson anyone?).

Anyway, this program is free and allows accepted students to study abroad for a summer, a semester or an entire year. I want to go for the full year, to fully experience the culture. I would apply now (senior year) and, if accepted, would spend my gap year abroad. My mom doesn't want me to apply for the semester or year-long programs because...
1. I will graduate a year later than my "peers"
2. I have to graduate as quickly as possible to jump into my career and start spewing out money like a tennis ball machine
3. Knowing more Korean than I already know (which is roughly at a 4th grade level) is not useful for a career

I disagree because
1. I will be more mature than my new peers if I take a gap year (mom thinks this is bull)
2. My financial situation will allow me to attend college for free; household income is less than 40 grand for 4 people, EFC is probably 0
3. If the US government is encouraging students to pursue less popular languages i.e. Korean FOR FREE, then isn't it useful for something??

My mother is a traditional Asian immigrant and speaks two sentences in English. It's very difficult to change her mind - she was skeptical for a few years of blind-need admission when we found out about it. PLEASE HELP!
Post edited by americansushi on

Replies to: How to convince my mom to allow a gap year for language development?