Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

Peer Review my essay please

jessenich5jessenich5 Posts: 1Registered User New Member
edited November 2012 in Study Abroad
G
Why Students Need Online Courses
Vance Granville Community College should not require students to take only non-hybrid distance courses. Some educators at Vance Granville Community College argue that students should only be able to take classes online that are not offered on campus, but I disagree with that. Distance education should be offered for all courses. There are many reasons why students need the option of taking online classes like many students think that they make better grades in online classes, many students need the flexibility allowed by online classes, and many students need to save the expense of the commute to and from the school campus.
Many students think that they make higher grades in online classes. Some think that the course work for online classes is much easier than the classwork that they would get from on campus classes. Also, some students do not like the classroom experience that they would get from on campus courses. These types of students like working at their own pace, whether it be taking more time with the classwork or less time. Additionally, students can control their environment in their own homes, whether they prefer peace and quiet or a little music. All of these qualities come together in online classes which help some students become higher achievers.
There are many students at Vance Granville who have full time jobs which do not offer flexible schedules. The students who have full time jobs cannot take classes on campus because their jobs will not allow them. The only way for them to get their education is through distance education. If they are taking online courses they do not have to worry about being late or even missing class because of their job. They can log on at any time and do their work for the day. Without online courses, many students would not be attending college because of their jobs.
The commute to school might be too far for some students to take on campus classes. We all know that the economy is bad and gas prices are sky high, which makes it expensive for people to commute to and from school. Time spent on the road to school might be better spent on studying. Some students could even be taking classes from another state and have no possible way to make their way to campus for class. The online classes makes those students’ homes their classroom so that they do not have to worry about getting ready for school, stopping for gas on the way, or going anywhere. They only need to turn on their computers, have an internet connection, and virtually go to class.
As mentioned above many students need these online courses. If the students did not have the option of taking online classes they would probably not be able to take the course that they need. Their reasons for needing online courses like they make higher grades in online courses, many of the students have full time jobs, and the commute to and from school is too far are all great reasons for many if not all classes to be offered online.
Post edited by jessenich5 on

Replies to: Peer Review my essay please

• jxlambjxlamb Posts: 1Registered User New Member
    This message is old but I wanted to reply just in case anyone else stumbles across this post. That and teaching is the most effective way to learn. So by explaining this to you I am also helping myself.

Take a look at your essay from the perspective of someone else. When you look at it does it appear to be inviting? Probably not.

Break up your work into smaller chunks. Its ok to have one and two sentence paragraphs. In fact, your first paragraph and last paragraph should be short.

You should always use an active voice. When you use a passive voice it makes it difficult to read your work. A passive voice is defined as a sentence structure that first uses an object, then a verb and puts the subject last or even omits the subject entirely.

Instead of using a passive voice use the basic subject, verb, and object sentence structure. Also keep the subject and very close to the beginning of each sentence. You should also avoid using exciting verbs as nouns.

This concludes my writing tip lesson.

Enjoy!