Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

Business major studying abroad

dnamk001dnamk001 Posts: 3Registered User New Member
edited February 2012 in Study Abroad
Hi,

I'm a second year undeclared student going to declare myself within business. I also want to study abroad and have been wanting to go to Spain for some time. A friend of mine however gave me the idea that I should utilize the opportunity to benefit my major rather than just going to go just to travel the globe.

This idea seemed really interesting and I have looked up a couple of places that would best suit for this reason for studying abroad. But based on others travels around the globe, did going to places such as china, korea, england, etc. where there is a heavy influence with certain trades within business helped attain certain skills or what not?

Because if not I'd rather just go to Spain.

thanks,
david
Post edited by dnamk001 on

Replies to: Business major studying abroad

• BelleNienteBelleNiente Posts: 223Registered User Junior Member
    I'm not the expert on this, but since no one else has shared their opinion, I'll share mine.
    If your wanting to go to Spain is following several years of studying Spanish, then the opportunity to study there and really practice the language is a really good one.

Knowing another language, especially one commonly used for business (such as Spanish), is very useful for a Business major. While Mandarin or Korean may also be useful, you won't likely pick up the language with a semester of study and no prior knowledge.

Studying abroad and what you gain from it depends not only on location, but also what it is you are doing there. If you plan to take business courses abroad, and they are taught by professors living in that country, then it might be useful to learn about Chinese business practices from a native Chinese professor. But if you have learned Spanish for years, have a greater interest in Spain, and don't intend to spend your future dealing business with China, Korea, or England, I see less of an advantage.

If you intend to get an internship abroad or something, that may change things. But in my opinion, interest in a country will help you gain more out of it.