Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

How reputable is LSE in US?

ladylibertyladyliberty Posts: 9Registered User New Member
edited November 2012 in Study Abroad
Just wondering,
London School of Economics and Political Science ( it's topped Oxford in one of this year's UK league table)

how highly regarded is it amongst US colleges? ( I want to do a masters in the states and I am wondering if a undergraduate law degree might be a lot more advantageous than a geography degree from LSE, providing I don't have a subject choice for masters in mind yet. )
IS GPA ( equivalent of UK class honour) more important when it comes to getting in top grad schools or the subject title matters more--- e.g. law more favourable because it is a 'harder' subject? (considering I am applying for business or English or Journalsim)

If I want to work in the states ( I am from abroad), what is the employability for a LSE (law / geography) graduate like?

sorry for throwing in questions here and there.
any advice would be appreciated.
Post edited by ladyliberty on

Replies to: How reputable is LSE in US?

• cutout1029cutout1029 Posts: 21Registered User New Member
    I'm confused, are you applying to uni right now and deciding what to study at LSE?
    Or what?
  • tiffaxx424tiffaxx424 Posts: 37Registered User Junior Member
    If you come with a LLB to the states, you can only take the bar in NY (im quite sure). You won't be able to be employed as a lawyer in any other state. But LSE is definitely a reputable school both in the US and abroad. If you want to go to law school, then I think that getting a LLB will probably be more advantageous. That being said, you don't necessarily need an undergrad law degree to apply to law school. Ultimately, it's up to you, but geography may be harder to find a job in.
  • keepittoyourselfkeepittoyourself Posts: 1,470Registered User Senior Member
    LSE has a better reputation in the US than it does in the UK. In the USA it's seen as almost up there with Oxbridge, but in the UK it's definitely seen as second tier, behind Oxbridge.