Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

CBYX 2017-2018

Replies to: CBYX 2017-2018

• NerdTronNerdTron Registered User Posts: 7 New Member
    I'm an alternate. What are the odds of going?
  • kennquistkennquist Registered User Posts: 4 New Member
    @NerdTron Supposedly they have alternates in an order. It's almost guaranteed that a finalist isn't going to go but you won't know the order of alternates that gets picked to take their place. There's really know way to know.
  • screenname8screenname8 Registered User Posts: 7 New Member
    Hey, I'm new to the discussion but have been reading. I'm not sure stuff is being announced by interview because I'm from ASSE Seattle area and I have heard absolutely nothing. I am however quite anxious. And NerdTron, there is no way to know, but I have heard that many alternates get to go. Hang in there. :)
  • ohanasunflowerohanasunflower Registered User Posts: 4 New Member
    I'm an alternate too~ @NerdTron
    Thanks everyone for the encouragement. I'm still a little bummed, but mostly hopeful. Congrats to all the finalists!
  • Northstar16Northstar16 Registered User Posts: 13 New Member
    @ohanasunflower You should feel proud that you are an alternate (these programs are extremely competitive) and know that you have a great chance of getting it if you apply again! :)
  • concertslothconcertsloth Registered User Posts: 15 New Member
    @ohanasunflower and @NerdTron congrats on becoming alternates!! Stay hopeful! I was an alternate last year for ASSE and didn't end up going and I got accepted this year! Even if you don't end up going this year, please please try again next year!!! I'm rooting for both of you! (and any others who haven't found out or are alternates) :)
  • jkrxqzljkrxqzl Registered User Posts: 3 New Member
    Hi! I'm from the Northern California area and haven't heard back yet, but am hoping its just because of the late interview slot (I didn't get interviewed until March). @NerdTron I was just wondering when you had your interview and congrats on becoming an alternate!
    edited March 19
    Thanks. My interview was Feb 18th I think. I live up towards Redding, and there were ~ 10 people there. I don't know what the selection process is like - seems like a random draw to me - since I found out that there was someone there who wore pajamas (or something close to them) to their interview, and they were a finalist.
  • Northstar16Northstar16 Registered User Posts: 13 New Member
    @NerdTron I think the selection process is actually opposite of a random draw (they look at every application very closely), so the person who basically wore pajamas must of had a stellar application and interview for them to overlook his lack of professional clothes.
    Even with that said, since there are so many applicants some years, I'm sure they are forced to make very hard decisions with who they select as finalists.
  • screenname8screenname8 Registered User Posts: 7 New Member
    @jkrxqzl I still haven't heard back either, my interview was feb. 25. Fingers crossed for you too. :)
  • WeirdAlWeirdAl Registered User Posts: 1 New Member
    edited March 19
    Our group was told they shuffled the cards and drew. Seems disrespectful to show up now dressed like you don't care. Still, I think you had to meet a certain criteria, but among those that met the criteria, think it was a draw. Congrats to all who made it, better luck next time to those that didn't.
  • germaniscoolgermaniscool Registered User Posts: 17 New Member
    I am from Portland, Oregon and still haven't heard back. My interview was also on the 25th
    @WeirdAl That's what I was told too. I heard that they hand choose the alternates though.
  • xXJotaroKujoXxxXJotaroKujoXx Registered User Posts: 4 New Member
    Western New York, and no news yet. Interview early Feb.