Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
College Confidential’s “Dean,” Sally Rubenstone, put together 25 of her best tips. So far, the "25 Tips from the Dean" eBook has helped more than 10K students choose a college, get in, and pay for it. Get your free copy: http://goo.gl/9zDJTM

Would being low-income prevent me from studying abroad?

13»

Replies to: Would being low-income prevent me from studying abroad?

• NaperthrillNaperthrill Registered User Posts: 77 Junior Member
    @Sybylla Yeah, I think I'm going to have to cross Australia off of my list. I think Spain's number one at this point.
  • Snowball CitySnowball City Registered User Posts: 1,070 Senior Member
    If you are Pell eligible, the Gilman Scholarship is available https://www.gilmanscholarship.org/program/eligibility/
    Students that are studying a critical language get a higher award https://www.gilmanscholarship.org/program/program-overview/
  • LuckyMom367LuckyMom367 Registered User Posts: 2 New Member
    Some requirements may be beyond the control of the student's family or school. When applying for his student visa my son had to send a screenshot of his bank balance to the host government, to show that he had personal access to over $10K USD, even though all of his expenses would be covered by his school and his program. We assume this would be to provide for emergencies, or so as not to be a potential drain on their economy. Check what visa requirements might apply to your chosen country.
  • MassmommMassmomm Registered User Posts: 2,338 Senior Member
    At my daughter's school, your financial aid goes with you when you study abroad, so it is no more expensive than staying on your own campus. We just made our normal payments, and these covered the flights, tuition, and payments to her host family. She also got a stipend for meals not provided by her host family.

This arrangement is common for many LACs.

• blprofblprof Registered User Posts: 719 Member
    My daughter also had to get a bank officer to write a letter to show that SHE - not her parents- had assets of at least $6000 to get a visa for Denmark. She also had to travel to NYC to get her visa in person. There can be an awful lot of additional expenses when studying abroad. If you are low income you will have to do more research because there is a great variability in costs. My daughter is in Copenhagen through her college's program and while her tuition is the same, Copenhagen is one of the most expensive cities to live in in the world. So housing, food, etc. are a lot more expensive.
  • Snowball CitySnowball City Registered User Posts: 1,070 Senior Member
    @Naperthrill Here is another study abroad scholarship

http://fundforeducationabroad.org/about-fea/
    The Fund for Education Abroad (FEA) was established as a 501(c)(3) organization in 2010 to address the need for an independent study abroad scholarship provider. FEA is expanding access to study abroad by raising awareness of its benefits to the individual and value to the collective, and by granting scholarships of up to $10,000.
    Applicants from groups underrepresented in study abroad and those destined for non-traditional locations are given preference, in an effort to make the demographics of U.S. undergraduates studying abroad reflect the rich diversity of the U.S. population.

http://fundforeducationabroad.org/applicants/
    PREFERENCES
    Academically rigorous and immersive study abroad program
    Study of the host country language (if not English)
    Student demonstrates financial need
    FEA strongly encourages students to apply who represent a group that is traditionally underrepresented in education abroad. Those groups include, but are not limited to:
    Minority students
    First-generation college students
    Community college students
  • SweetbeetSweetbeet Registered User Posts: 535 Member
    My son studies CS at the University of Denver. He gets lots of financial aid, because we're relatively low-income (not quite as low as you, but he does get a small Pell grant). The study abroad options at DU are great. He spent a semester in Scotland; like you, that was far enough out of his comfort zone for him. He's never been much for foreign language (unless it's a programming language!).

At DU, if you are studying abroad, you pay the same amount you would pay if you were on campus, and your financial aid is available. Also, if you have a good GPA, they will even pay your airfare and application fees. He had to show $3000 in a bank account when he arrived, but I just transferred some from my account to his, to beef it up a bit, then he gave it back later. He worked the summer before to earn money to pay for his food and extras so he had that money when he left.

He couldn't take CS or math courses in Glasgow, because in Scotland those are all full-year courses, but he took some other things that count for his minor and gen eds. It was a great experience and I'd say, go for it! Also maybe consider DU if you want to do CS and study abroad, they really go the extra mile to help any students who want to go abroad for a semester or a year. And they have a beautiful new engineering/CS building and some great programs. For a while they were meeting full (CSS Profile) need for all engineering and CS students, not sure if they still are, but it's worth a try.
13»