Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

NSLI-Y Program.

SoreSubjectSoreSubject Posts: 315Registered User Junior Member
edited October 2013 in Study Abroad
Applications were due December 4th, did anyone apply for the summer session?

Basically it is a scholarship where you go to another country (Russia, Tajikistan, Korea, China, Egypt..) to learn about the culture but mostly the language.

NSLI for Youth
Post edited by SoreSubject on

Replies to: NSLI-Y Program.

• Klika22Klika22 Posts: 70Registered User Junior Member
    I applied for the summer session. Russia was my first choice and china was my second. Which ones did you apply for?
  • SoreSubjectSoreSubject Posts: 315Registered User Junior Member
    I also applied for the Summer session with Russia as my first option, and I think Korea or China for my second, and the other one for third!
    Did you join the Facebook group? That might help your chances of being selected.
    Haha, that's so weird! Umm, I joined the group specifically for Russia, did you mean to join the general one?--i don't know that much about the program, but would it really improve my chances?
  • alex_no_andraalex_no_andra Posts: 21Registered User New Member
    I applied for the summer session in Russia as well. I went last year, and it was amazing. Good luck to you both!
  • watchmesoarwatchmesoar Posts: 352Registered User Junior Member
    Hey fellow NSLI-Yers! I applied the summer session. My choices were Turkey, Egypt(/Jordan/Morocco), and India (in that order).

This thread has a lot of other applicants, as well as some info on the selection process:
    NSLI for youth? - Cultures Shocked forum
    I just got off a conference call with AFS about NSLI. I got some interesting info I thought you all would be interested in .

You all know the basics about NSLI - languages covered etc. Did you know that it is administered by AFS, American Councils, iEARN and some private institutions? The private institutions are not high school exchange organizations, but may be schools or other cultural programs. They will handle some of the summer programs. You can actually see what countries are handled by AFS/American Councils/iEARN on the website NSLI for Youth.

OK, on to the fun stuff.

*As of the application deadline (12/4), 1977 completed applications had been received by American Councils. This is a 38% increase over 2008.
    * American Councils will do the initial eligibility screening of the applications, expected to be completed by 1/4/2010. They expect to have 1400-1500 eligible.
    * AFS is handling all interviews for NSLI.
    *Interviews begin 1/11/2010. They will be completed by 2/16/2010. Final screening is expected to be completed and students notified by 3/31/2010. At that point students have until 4/15/2010 to accept or decline the scholarship.
    *They expect approximately 600 students to win scholarships.
    *Of the 600, 225 will be with AFS. The rest will be spread among the other partner organizations.

Now, I can't guarantee that the timeline will remain the same, but AFS has just hired staff to work specifically on NSLI and I know there are trainings being held all over the US for volunteers who will be interviewing. Judging by the timeline as it stands now, though, you all who got your apps in should be getting notified about interviews sometime after 4Jan.

An interesting factoid I learned - some of the Korean program students this year are not in host families, but in boarding schools. It wasn't mentioned if this would continue in 2010...

So good luck to all of you who applied, you have about a 1 in 3 chance! Not bad odds!
    I joined the one specifically for Russia Summer and I became a fan of NSLI-Y.

Good luck to you guys too :)

watchmesoar, thanks for that info! The Jan 4 deadline is killing me!
    Ok, I'll probably do that

Alex, it's good to know that you liked it so much you're applying again! What was the day to day program like (what did you guys do other than language class)?

Good luck to you guys too!

Watchmesoar, thanks, those dates were very helpful! I will be anxious for monday!
    In the mornings we had 4 hours of language classes starting at 9:00. After that we had lunch at a cafe, and then usually an excursion of some sort (museums, monuments, etc.). We could usually opt out of the excursion if we needed to. After that was free--we usually just hung out in a park or something in smaller groups. I usually went back to my host family at 6 or 7, had dinner and hung out w/ my host sister. Some weekends we had longer excursions out into the country. Feel free to PM me if you have any other questions :).
    That sounds so amazing and fun! I'm so anxious... on another thread it said that anyone who qualified was interviewed last year, is this true?
    I think so...but I could not tell you for sure. I guess we will find out this year...
    It sounds a bit intense, but an awesome experience!! I will PM you if I get in, but I don't want to get more excited than I already am and then be dissappointed.
    What was the interview like for you? Was it somewhere or in-home?
    It wouldn't surprise me if everyone that's qualified is interviewed since they extended the deadline for reccomendations until the 31st, and they start letting us know tomorrow.
    Ahh I thought it was today! Sigh I am going to be on edge until I get it haha
    i haven't received anything from them...but according to the nsli website, the notifications are on a rolling basis, so we can be notified until february 15, so it may be a while...