Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

Studying Acting Abroad in the UK (RSAMD)

frozenchosenakfrozenchosenak Posts: 45Registered User Junior Member
edited February 2011 in Study Abroad
We found it interesting that most UK acting programs are 3 years and that Americans will spend almost half the cost or more on tuition. Certainly the exchange rate can fluctuate but even with air flights and the flat costs, we saved on college loans.
Introduction

Our S auditioned at Interlochen Arts Academy (Michigan) for Royal Scottish Academy of Music and Drama (Glasgow), after attending his junior and senior year. It was his first choice. After he was wait-listed at Carnegie Mellon ($50,000 a year for four years), we considered our options at RSAMD to be much better $$$ for our family expenses. We have spent about ($25,000 each year on tuition, room & board). The overseas experience has been enriching, he took master classes with some of the best actors/professors in Europe, and received some of the best classical training available...Our S has talked to some of his acting friends in the US about their experience and most complained about their programs spending the Freshman year 'breaking students down' from previous training to 'mold them with recognizable traits for casting agents/directors with the school's philosophy', instead of taking promising students and enriching their talents. Even though RSAMD only accepts 3-4 American students out of their 22-24 each year in their BA conservatory programs, it is worth investigating and talking to recruiters and auditioning.
10 Best Acting Schools In The World | Made Manual
Post edited by frozenchosenak on

Replies to: Studying Acting Abroad in the UK (RSAMD)

• samucksamuck Posts: 424Registered User Member
    Thank you - that's very interesting. Maybe you should post in the Theatre/drama forum, as well? I'm sure the posters there would find your experience valuable.
  • TheaterXTheaterX Posts: 2Registered User New Member
    Hi, I would LOVE to get into RASMD, and I posted a topic asking for info on their auditions and their program: http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/theater-drama-majors/989047-anyone-know-about-rsamd.html#post1065513914
    any helpful information you could give me??? Thank you so much!
  • BiggestfanofkctBiggestfanofkct Posts: 2Registered User New Member
    My S is very interested in a Masters Degree at RASMD. Any insight would be appreciated. What is the reputation of the progam, the school. What are his chances of employment after graduation?
  • frozenchosenakfrozenchosenak Posts: 45Registered User Junior Member
    RSAMD is ranked as one of the top 4 acting schools in the world...
    10 Best Acting Schools In The World | Made Manual
    Our S was hired for a World Premiere play the summer after graduation and is at the Citizen's Theatre for another play in March. There are no guarantees but if your S is willing to apply for a work visa (18 mo) and make serious connections, there is opportunity. Our S also composes guitar music, plays with a band in pubs and works with friends on films. It's who you know, rather than what you know but also involves CONNECTIONS, as you know...RSAMD does give them chances to work in local theaters with talented directors.