Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

MITES 2012 Information and Discussion

pentupenguinpentupenguin Posts: 392Registered User Junior Member
edited April 2013 in Summer Programs
It's probably way early for this but I though that I might as well get ball rolling :) Sooo, let's start the journey :p

Who in here is planning in applying to MITES? I know I'd love to be part of such an exciting program. If anyone who has attended previously could give the rest of us a run through of their experience I think it would be really helpful.
Post edited by pentupenguin on

Replies to: MITES 2012 Information and Discussion

• awkwardpenguin13awkwardpenguin13 Posts: 1,943Registered User Senior Member
    I'm really excited to apply too! I wish the app was released earlier. It's hard waiting until November.
  • jrp1234jrp1234 Posts: 52Registered User Junior Member
    I'm still not sure... I want to apply because I think it sounds amazing, but I'm not really a "minority". Would it be a total waste of my time to apply? The application's kind of long, so on one hand I really want to give it a shot but on the other, I feel like I might be wasting a lot of time and effort.
    The thing is, I couldn't really find any other programs that were similar enough to it but didn't have anything to do with being a minority... kinda of bums me out.
    What's your ethnicity? (If you don't mind me asking)

And well, there's 4? essays to do, and although that sounds like alot, maybe it'll give you ideas when it comes to writing essays for college apps.
    I'm asian and not low income (middle upper class) :P
    Yeah, like, I don't mind writing 4 essays at all if I actually have a chance of making it, but I'm worried they'll take one look at income status and ethnicity and just write me off.
  • AlphaRAlphaR Posts: 127Registered User Junior Member
    I'm considering applying.
  • jewelzjewelz Posts: 3Registered User New Member
    Neither of those attributes will eliminate you from being considered for MITES. Both the summer I participated and the summer I worked for the program as a T/A there were students with similar backgrounds
  • pentupenguinpentupenguin Posts: 392Registered User Junior Member
    Does anyone know if having had a internship with a Fortune 500 tech company would lower my chances of getting into MITES? I heard that they like people who haven't had exposure to math and science fields so I was wondering if it would be better to simply not mention it.
    I've heard that too^ and i'd say it probably depends on the other applicants who apply, but I'm not sure
    Wait, can you choose NOT to report your income and stuff like that? (I've never seen the application before so I have no idea what it requires you to fill out)
    Hm, I'm not sure.. There's no financial aid involved, so you probably don't have to report it...
    I'm pretty sure one of the questions is whether your parents' income is over 60k or something.
  • ambitious1ambitious1 Posts: 19Registered User New Member
    I can't wait to apply. I really hope i am accepted
    Same! ^ It seems like an amazing program! :)
    I want the application to come out already... >.<
  • jewelzjewelz Posts: 3Registered User New Member
    Not disclosing information such as internships would hurt you more than help you.
    Well, is there any place that specifically asks you if you've had any? I was just wondering, since I was planning on writing one of the essays (if there is any) about it but if it's shaky I would just use one of my extracurriculars.