Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Please take a moment to read our updated TOS, Privacy Policy, and Forum Rules.

Summer programs that focus on international relations?

Replies to: Summer programs that focus on international relations?

• jerevedeparisjerevedeparis Registered User Posts: 419 Member
    That program throughout Tufts sounds absolutely amazing! I'm definitely going to talk to my parents about it, I know they're hesitant about dishing out 6k for something like this though /: thanks so much!
  • keabie18keabie18 Registered User Posts: 414 Member
    I recently got rejected from NSLIY :(
    Anyone know of any good programs for current high school seniors, entering college next year?
  • hungryhippo12hungryhippo12 Registered User Posts: 5 New Member
    Tufts Summit is a great program.

Only prerequisite is taking french, but I can tell from your name that it wouldn't be a problem.
    I went right after my sophomore year, but the program was almost evenly split between rising juniors and seniors (actually, there may have been more rising seniors) but it's a great mix of kids (about 30)

I'm going to Tufts next year (ED) so the program is truly a great introduction to the IR curriculum and you get a good feel of the types of people at Tufts (through those working in the European Center/the awesome student interns)

Let me know if you have any questions! I registered for the program I think in february? So there is definitely time to consider it.
  • yhbultimate11yhbultimate11 Registered User Posts: 113 Junior Member
    this is going back to the beginning of this post, but programs that focus on international relations:

brown leadership institute @ summer@brown
    the foreign affairs focus program at exploration summer programs
    yale ivy scholars
  • collegeboundJoncollegeboundJon Registered User Posts: 422 Member
    The NSLI-Y Summer Program looks like it would be an awesome experience. Has anyone gone the summer before freshman year of college? I missed the deadline for the coming summer so I will apply for the 2013/2014 year.

I emailed NSLI-Y about the Arabic and Chinese programs. Anyone on CC have experience with these programs?
    Thanks!
  • watchmesoarwatchmesoar Registered User Posts: 352 Member
    @collegeboundJon

A bunch of people who were in my program were about to start their first year of college, so that's nothing to worry about.
  • shareezyshareezy Registered User Posts: 79 Junior Member
    Hello all!

This past summer I participated in the High School Diplomats Program. This program is where 40 Americans and 40 Japanese high schoolers spend 10 days of cultural exchange at Princeton University, with ALL expenses paid for (FULL SCHOLARSHIP!!!). I would highly recommend EVERYONE in this forum to apply.

Although HSD (High School Diplomats) is not a widely known program, it is an excellent program and several alumni go to top schools such as Princeton, Stanford, Brown, Williams College, and University of Virginia.

If you get into HSD and complete the program successfully, you can apply to USHSD afterwards (which is what I am doing now). USHSD is a full scholarship three week stay in Japan (20 of the 40 HSD graduates are eligible).

Here is official information:
    "Dates of program: July 31- August 11, 2012

Program cost: All lodging, food, and activity costs are covered by scholarships

Application process: Electronic versions of the HSD application will be available after 9/15/2011.

Please see our website at High School Diplomats for an electronic copy or your school career center or foreign language departments for hard copies. Applications may NOT be handwritten.

Application deadline will be in early January and interviews will be held in early to mid-March. Decisions will be made by mid-April.

For more information, please visit our website at High School Diplomats or email Mrs.
    Parrott, American Director, at Director@highschooldiplomats.com."

If you have any questions about the program (from an alumni's perspective), feel free to msg me!

Note: I am not an official representative, but an alumni.
  • yhbultimate11yhbultimate11 Registered User Posts: 113 Junior Member
    I just applied to High School Diplomats! I'm really excited :). What's the interview like/where is it conducted? Also, do you know how competitive the program is? And are they looking for kids who speak/study Japanese already? Thanks!
  • collegeboundJoncollegeboundJon Registered User Posts: 422 Member
    For those who went were your programs six weeks or eight weeks? What was the experience like? Have you mastered that language?
  • KenLOL95KenLOL95 Registered User Posts: 39 Junior Member
    There is one called NSCL, extremely easy to get in, costs about 3000 dollars.
  • SaperryAudeSaperryAude Registered User Posts: 7 New Member
    I'm very, very interested in this. I'm hoping that a spate of UK-US ones break out because of the current "special relationship" shtick. :P

Are there any more general international ones, taking applicants from countries outside of the US?
  • mayee107mayee107 Registered User Posts: 131 Junior Member
    Hi!
    The Yale Ivy Scholars Program accepts applicants internationally :D . Its pretty challenging, but there are guest speakers who are former ambassadors or have worked in the White House. You get lectures from the Yale faculty about international relations and run a simulation (sort of like model UN). For me, it was very rewarding. Here's a link if anyone is interested:
    The Ivy Scholars Program at Yale University | Ivy Scholars
  • nerdybamboonerdybamboo Registered User Posts: 34 Junior Member
    Hi sorry to revive this old thread but I'm super duper interested in doing International Relations and I want to apply early to Yale next year. I already know about the Ivy Scholars program, I'm applying right now :) Is there anywhere else I can apply to?
  • KingshukRKingshukR Registered User Posts: 68 Junior Member
    ^
    I second this. Though I'm just a freshman, international affairs and politics have always intrigued me, and I have done multiple research projects about the UN and Foreign Service to further my understanding. If anyone knows any good programs that go to Eastern Asia (My main interest. China, Japan, Korea, Taiwan, etc. I know a beginner's amount of Chinese and Japanese, but saw several other programs I'm not sure are good or not). My main concern is price of the program. Either cheap programs or programs with scholarships would be great :)
  • tangokidstangokids Registered User Posts: 13 New Member
    Is JSA a good international relations summer program? the one at Georgetown?
This discussion has been closed.