Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Please take a moment to read our updated TOS, Privacy Policy, and Forum Rules.

Summer programs that focus on international relations?

jerevedeparisjerevedeparis Registered User Posts: 419 Member
edited December 2013 in Summer Programs
Does anyone know of any? :) or anything similar? Thanks!
Post edited by jerevedeparis on

Replies to: Summer programs that focus on international relations?

• Nin10dude317Nin10dude317 Registered User Posts: 339 Member
    Not a summer program, but nothings gonna be closer than Model UN conferences. Of course, there are other programs like TASP, but I live far from them, so no idea.
  • watchmesoarwatchmesoar Registered User Posts: 352 Member
    If you're interested in adventure, I'd definitely urge you to apply to NSLIY. It's a full scholarship from the State Dept. to study language abroad for the summer or a semester/year. They offer Turkish, Korean, Arabic, Mandarin, Russian, Farsi, and Hindu. I went to Turkey summer before last and had the time of my life. Pretty much everything: (airfare, orientations, host family/hotel stays, school tuition, transportation, and lunch) is paid for.
  • jerevedeparisjerevedeparis Registered User Posts: 419 Member
    Wow that sounds awesome :3 can you do something like that without having studied the language before?
  • watchmesoarwatchmesoar Registered User Posts: 352 Member
    For sure! I spoke not a word of Turkish before I went. These languages definitely aren't common, so they're not expecting prior knowledge. The want people who are passionate toward learning a new language and living in a new culture.

Here's the website: Home Page

The app is out now.
  • keabie18keabie18 Registered User Posts: 414 Member
    bump, I'm also interested in such programs. especially those that include recent high school grads (i'm in the class of 2012)
  • keabie18keabie18 Registered User Posts: 414 Member
    @watchmesoar, how hard is it to get into that program?
  • felipesosafelipesosa Registered User Posts: 9 New Member
    Stanford Summer Educational Programs for Gifted Youth - International Relations
  • kenzie1992kenzie1992 Registered User Posts: 1,003 Senior Member
    If you're an IB student, look into the IB World Student Conferences, there's two this year, one in Vancouver, BC and one in Spain.
  • IRgovmntIRgovmnt Registered User Posts: 30 New Member
    quick question, did your host family speak any English? That is what kind of worries me that I won't be able to communicate with them if i'm accepted.
  • emorylegacyemorylegacy Registered User Posts: 825 Member
    I just went for NSLI-Y in the summer and it was aweeeesome and free and the best summer of my life. I didn't know a word of the language I went for, but now I'm... at beginner's haha. My host family spoke English quite well.
  • ichabod94ichabod94 Registered User Posts: 42 Junior Member
    The South Korea Scholarship Program through CIEE is amazing!! I did it in 2010 and it was a fabulous experience and it only costs $150. Lodging, classes, food and homestay is all included. We learned a lot about Korean culture, toured the country and got to visit the DMZ.
  • hellUVAchancehellUVAchance Registered User Posts: 398 Member
    Hey I've done two NSLI-Y summers in Russia so if you have any questions about the program, the application process, or Russia feel free to PM me.
  • charlieschmcharlieschm Registered User Posts: 4,282 Senior Member
    If you are currently a college student, I'd check out American University in DC. They have various programs for a couple weeks, a month, a summer or a semester, and they provide on-campus housing near a Metro stop.

Also, the "Washington Center" organizes internships for students from other colleges who stay in DC for a semester or another period of time. It is affiliated with many colleges. They also connect you with housing. I would imagine some of their programs would stress international relations.
  • jerevedeparisjerevedeparis Registered User Posts: 419 Member
    @charlieshn thanks for the suggestion but I'm a sophomore in high school, and I live right outside of dc :) thanks so much though.
This discussion has been closed.