Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

Is the National Student Leadership Conference legit?

SwinterSwinter Posts: 925Registered User Member
edited February 2013 in Summer Programs
Today I got a thing in the mail. According to a letter I got I was "selected to represent your [my] school at the 2012 National Student Leadership Conference" this summer.

Some of the programs look interesting, but they're really expensive. Like ~$2500 for a ten day session.

I can't help but wonder if my name was just on a mass mailing list. I was just wondering if this program was something legitimate and not a scam. What do you guys think?
Post edited by Swinter on

Replies to: Is the National Student Leadership Conference legit?

• kitkat522kitkat522 Posts: 137Registered User Junior Member
    I threw it away. I mean, i think it's sent to kids with good scores, but i doubt anyone at my school "nominated" me, or that it really counts. Plus it's not worth it for me to pay. If you can afford it, then go ahead. I think it's legitimate, but not selective
  • iceui2iceui2 Posts: 887Registered User Member
    Short answer: No it is not legit.

Long answer: It's not a scam, because the program exists. But it's just a money-making program and is not selective at all. It will not help in college admissions.
  • iluvbooks94iluvbooks94 Posts: 1,009Registered User Senior Member
    I got a full scholarship and went to the U.S. Policy & Politics program last year. It was a really great experience for me. I met a lot of great people, saw D.C., and participated in election and Congress simulations.

Don't do something in the summer just to boost admissions chances; most programs won't help you anyway. But, if you get to March/April and don't have summer plans yet, take a look into NSLC if you like. I enjoyed it.
  • abyjimabyjim Posts: 1Registered User New Member
    I would realy like to attend the confrence but i know my parents wont be able to paty for it. How did you get the full scholarship to go?