Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Please take a moment to read our updated TOS, Privacy Policy, and Forum Rules.

Replies to: TASP 2015

• anterogradeanterograde Registered User Posts: 46 Junior Member
    I haven't said this before so it's probably not obvious to the people who want to apply, but I'm also a junior and applying, too. Honestly, if you want to apply for TASP, just apply. It's really not about what your stats are (like what scores you get in standardized testing or what grades you have), it's really about the essays that you write that will make them select you. I know because I've had a really long talk with a friend that went to TASP last year and I was pretty worried about not getting in because everything about me except my ability to write made me feel pretty self-conscious and I was like, "I'm never going to get in!" But I looked over the website pretty zealously to the point where it's probably my most viewed website, and the website pretty much states that your essays are really the defining factor that makes them decide to accept you, not your (or lack thereof) the extracurricular activities you're in. So if you think you can write all the essays before the deadline, then seriously just apply. If you think it's not worth it because of the low acceptance rate (like a friend of mine who is pretty baffled that I'm applying because it's so low), then it's okay, you know?

So, good luck everybody! :)
  • enigmaticmindenigmaticmind Registered User Posts: 62 Junior Member
    I was wondering if anyone know how many people that apply are selected for an interview. Are most people interviewed or is the interview also highly selective?
  • teenagecrimeteenagecrime Registered User Posts: 458 Member
    I know someone who got in and literally had not that great stats except maybe a decent SAT 1 score but he was more or less the only person from my state, and I live in one of the more competitive ones, but he was an excellent writer and had a brilliant mindset
  • SMPak786SMPak786 Registered User Posts: 7 New Member
    I received an email inviting me to apply to TASP (based off of my PSAT score I suppose), and I looked into the program and it seems like something I would really love to do. I plan on working on some of the essay during this last week of winter break. I could use some advice however: my parents immigrated from another country, and I was born here, however my entire family is still in that country, so, I am very much in touch with my culture and "motherland" so to speak. Do you think it would be okay if for the essay that asks about an issue important to you, I discuss something that has had a huge impact on our home country, and something that I am really passionate about? Thank you for any and all advice about applying for TASP, I don't really have any experience in applying for pre-college programs.
    And also, any suggestions for the personal conflict essay? Was that essay relatively short compared to some of the others? And would you recommend having a teacher or somebody read over the essays, or to just turn it in as is?
  • celebrate432celebrate432 Registered User Posts: 18 New Member
    Hi guys! I'm applying to TASP too and my main concern so far is showing them my personality. I feel like I would be a really good candidate, and I definitely identify with their goals of an educational community, but I can't figure out how to get across "what makes me who I am" in an application-- I have really diverse interests am extremely passionate, but my application just feels lackluster... any tips?
  • Ivy2020Ivy2020 Registered User Posts: 7 New Member
    Hey everyone, I got an email from TASP inviting me to apply on the 17th but I didn't really look at the application until today. I'm not the best writer out there, but my test scores, GPA, extracurriculars, and such are rather strong, so I don't know what my chances are. But the programs TASP offers seem wonderful! Michigan I and II both seem really interesting. Good luck to everyone applying, and hopefully we'll be able to meet each other this summer! :blush:
  • ccstudent101ccstudent101 Registered User Posts: 87 Junior Member
    @SMPak786‌ I'm not an alumni, just applying...but mine's pretty long. And slightly indie, if that makes sense.
  • meaa7130meaa7130 Registered User Posts: 644 Member
    edited January 2015
    Is The Catcher in the Rye too common/popular to write my critical analysis on?

EDIT:

What about Ender's Game?
  • mdclassof2017mdclassof2017 Registered User Posts: 66 Junior Member
    @meaa7130‌ i'm not applying to TASP this year (i'm a sophomore), but I honestly think that what really matters is the quality of your analysis. If you can write a kick-ass analysis of the catcher in the rye then go for it. I don't think you HAVE to write about something obscure
  • awsmpersonawsmperson Registered User Posts: 16 New Member
    Hi, I'm applying to TASP this year as well, and I'm concerned about my essays, which I've written already. I tend to try to stick to strict essay rules that I learnt, like not using the first person too often, and I sometimes write very complex and long sentences. Do you think that this problem will weigh in to the decision process, or are the decisions made more on the content of the essays? Thank you.
  • meaa7130meaa7130 Registered User Posts: 644 Member
    @mdclassof2017 thanks for the advice... I was just concerned that my analysis wouldn't be unique enough. I really shouldn't have procrastinated, but oh well.
  • ObraynerdObraynerd Registered User Posts: 28 New Member
    Hey guys just checking in again. I've been so busy the past few weeks that I haven't been able to take the time to sit down ad seriously write my essays! :-( I feel like rushed writing is going to ruin me... Anyways just finished my rough draft of my [what I want to do for my] future essay.
    In my choose-whatever-topic-you-want essay I want to write about a **** fight that I witnessed in the Philippines and how it reminded me of war and talk about my views of war (I'm pretty much a pacifist). Can any alumni tell me if this is a bad idea? I know **** fights are illegal but will my being in the Philippines help or should I just scrap it? Is it a bad idea to even compare war to **** fights?

Hufffffff....puuffff.... this application process is so energy consuming but I'm secretly enjoying this excuse to write :-)
  • hildayyhildayy Registered User Posts: 2 New Member
    HELLO guys! I have some questions about the critical analysis essay and was wondering if one of you could help me~ In the application form it says we should formulate an argument about the text, however I'm confused what kind of argument should I have. Can the argument just be related to the topic the text is about? Or does the argument need to be about what the author actually means through the text? I've tried a critical analysis about a novel, however was in danger of paraphrasing in order to support my argument. What is critical analysis actually? That's my main confusion, Thank you guys!
    edited January 2015
    Okay a couple questions, do you think its okay if I do my critical analysis on poetry that is not in english? Also HELP PLEASE on the conflict essay? How long or in depth is it? Also for the write about any issue essay I was thinking about writing about something to do with mainstream media, does that fit the category?
This discussion has been closed.