Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Please take a moment to read our updated TOS, Privacy Policy, and Forum Rules.

Google CSSI 2017

Replies to: Google CSSI 2017

• buddy16buddy16 Registered User Posts: 115 Junior Member
    I just submitted my application. Does anyone know when I should hear anything from Google?
  • BlueSnailBlueSnail Registered User Posts: 54 Junior Member
    @buddy16 It says in the FAQ that "Applicants who are accepted will be notified in early May 2017".

The application site is not letting me access the application until I upload my transcript from my school, which won't be available for another two weeks. However, I want to get started on my essays now.

Could someone let me know what the essay questions are and what the word limits are? Thanks!
    @BlueSnail Yes, I saw that, but I was wondering when we get notified for interviews and such. Here's the questions and word limits:

1. Why are you interested in attending CSSI? (150 word max limit)

2. How were you first introduced to computer science? (150 word max limit)

3. Problem solving and analytical thinking are important skills for a successful computer scientist. Please share an example demonstrating a time you used your problem solving skills to overcome a challenge or obstacle. This can be in relation to a project, extracurricular activity, work, etc. (200 word max limit)

4. How does YouTube work? Pick one feature/thing you can do on YouTube and describe how you think it works behind the scenes -- both on the user's device and at Google. Talk us through your thought process on how this feature works from a technical perspective. Think about what needs to happen for someone to use this feature and explain step by step the process (e.g. searching for a video). (200 word max limit)

5. Please give us one example of how you have exhibited leadership. Explain how you were influential, what you were trying to achieve and the impact you had as a result. This need not be demonstrated through a formal or traditional leadership role. Think broadly and examine the ways you are having an effect on the members of your school or your broader community. (150 word max limit. This example might overlap with question #3 - which is fine! - so please focus on leadership skills for this response.)

6. Part of the consideration for receiving the Generation Google Scholarship is financial need. Please describe your financial need for this scholarship and what it would enable you to accomplish in your academic career. (200 word max limit)
  • BlueSnailBlueSnail Registered User Posts: 54 Junior Member
    @buddy16 Thanks!

Also, I don't think there are interviews this year, because there weren't interviews last year (see last year's CSSI discussion thread)
    @BlueSnail You're right, thanks!
  • st8homomst8homom Registered User Posts: 42 Junior Member
    Hey everyone, I'm thinking about applying to CSSI, but I'm not sure if I should. I am considering majoring in computer science, but am still trying to learn more about it and seeing if it's something I enjoy. Do you think it's worth applying if I put "Undeclared" or "Music" (I would like to double-major) for my major? Or if I'm not sure about my major, do you think this opportunity isn't really the right one for me?
    @st8homom I'd definitely apply, the program is intended for beginners so I think it'd be a good opportunity.
    @buddy16 So you think they will consider me in spite of my major not being computer science?
    @st8homom Ah I spoke too soon, they expect you to intend to be enrolled in a computer science, computer engineering, software engineering, or a related technology major.
    edited February 6
    Yeah. It's just that I'm not sure about my major yet, computer science or not. Thanks anyway for your response.
  • Dartmouth_21Dartmouth_21 Registered User Posts: 288 Junior Member
    I'm applying! I didn't miss this process of writing essays and worrying about being accepted :p from what i've seen they admit a range of students; like people who are attending ivies and have compsci experience and those who don't have great stats and aren't attending top colleges. im in ap comp sci principles which is like comp sci lite, so i dont know how that will affect anything. what languages do you guys know? i pretty much only know javascript and html
  • medicsunburnmedicsunburn Registered User Posts: 8 New Member
    I agree with @Dartmouth_21 , they admit people from all ranges of technical experiences. A previous CSSI attendee from my school was close friends with my older sibling, and he had already taken all the CS classes available and knew quite a lot beforehand.
  • SaharaDesertSaharaDesert Registered User Posts: 15 New Member
    Does anyone know what kind of questions they ask the teacher reference? Mine wants to know whether or not he should craft a full blown reference.
    Also, how does the resume factor in? Is it like to mention everything we didn't in our essays?
  • profdad2021profdad2021 Registered User Posts: 370 Member
    My daughter is completing the joint application for the Generation Google scholarship AND the CSSI program. For those who go this route, do some get rejected for the scholarship but still get into the camp? It seems like this is a YES, but we weren't sure.
  • Dartmouth_21Dartmouth_21 Registered User Posts: 288 Junior Member
    @profdad2021 yes, i think they only give the scholarship to few people, like <10 (i think!) but for CSSI, there are 30 kids at each location and quite a few locations this year. so over a hundred kids :)