Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
College Confidential’s “Dean,” Sally Rubenstone, put together 25 of her best tips. So far, the "25 Tips from the Dean" eBook has helped more than 10K students choose a college, get in, and pay for it. Get your free copy: http://goo.gl/9zDJTM

Google CSSI 2017

Replies to: Google CSSI 2017

• SaharaDesertSaharaDesert Registered User Posts: 15 New Member
    @Sumbodyyyy @11kysta I got an email when I finished my end (Thanks for submitting your application for Google CSSI and the Generation Google Scholarship <- the subject line) but I didn't get an email when my reference filled it out, thereby fully completing my application.
  • sweatearlsweatearl Registered User Posts: 89 Junior Member
    2 Things: Someone asked the award amount, @11kysta said 25000 dollars. The website for generation google says 10000 dollars. Can I ask you where that number came from?

And does anyone know if this scholarship is renewable?
  • 11kysta11kysta Registered User Posts: 65 Junior Member
    edited March 5
    @SaharaDesert what does your portal say? It must say Completed against all of the application materials.
    @sweatearl My bad. I must have confused this number with some other scholarship in my mind while writing the answer before. Also, neither does the scholarships page say anything about this being renewable nor anything about it being a one-time prize. I did, although, come across the Cappex page for the Generation Google Scholarship which talks of the scholarship being renewable. I'll have a word with previous winners and get back or someone can try contacting Google regarding the same.
    @selxx23 the scholarship amount is USD 10,000 and not USD 25,000 as mentioned earlier. Apologies.
    @11kysta My portal does say completed - just neither I nor my reference were really notified :)
    @SaharaDesert oh then you need not worry about anything. :)
  • selxx23selxx23 Registered User Posts: 54 Junior Member
    its probably 10,000 over four years.. so 2500/yr renewable
  • profdad2021profdad2021 Registered User Posts: 339 Member
    edited March 11
    "The Generation Google Scholarship was established to help aspiring computer scientists excel in technology and become leaders in the field. Selected students will receive 10,000 USD (for those studying in the US) or 5,000 CAD (for those studying in Canada) for the 2017-2018 school year."
  • spiciestmemelordspiciestmemelord Registered User Posts: 7 New Member
    Hey guys! I just found this thread and I'm kind of worried because I never got an email that said that my application was submitted, but on the Google website, it says "Complete," so...? will they receive and review my application?
    My understanding is there was no real "submit application" button. When the application is complete, it IS submitted. If your items are all marked as completed, that should be mean you are good to go. We found this part of the process confusing too. But I told my daughter not to stress...after all, the odds of winning are SO LOW anyway! So just move on to other things and maybe even other applications!
    Does anyone know when we will start to hear back from them?
    We in our house are also wondering about notifications. I read that the generation google scholarship awards would be announced in April and maybe the CSSI program by May? But I'm betting that actual "winners" will learn their fate on the early side! So if anybody on this thread has applied and gets good news early.......share it with us! After all, the information will be appreciated and we will be happy for you!
  • absensfan24absensfan24 Registered User Posts: 4 New Member
    Hey guys! I just found this thread and am looking forward to being a productive member- Anyone here apply to NYC location- Just curious to see
    We don't live near any of the nonresidential locations and so my daughter would have to get into one of the two residential locations.
    @Sumbodyyyy @SaharaDesert @buddy16 @selxx23 @Dartmouth_21 @11kysta @sprinkle @676339784

So we are wondering - never got any sort of confirmation email, not that the application was submitted and not that it was completed. My kid/applicant did get an email confirming that the reference was completed, though.

But on the applicant portal, it DOES read "Complete" by her application for the scholarship/cssi.

Yeah, it's a little late to be asking this question. We emailed CSSI but wondered if others noticed this.

Thoughts?
    @profdad2021 as long as it says completed on the portal, you are fine to go. You can wait for them to reply but it is just a glitch. :)