Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Google CSSI 2017

11kysta11kysta Registered User Posts: 65 Junior Member
Hey guys, the applications for this year's program opened on the 21st. I thought I would go ahead and start a thread to connect with applicants.
Has anyone else here applied to CSSI and/or the Generation Google Scholarship?
Excited to get to know you guys! :)

Replies to: Google CSSI 2017

• buddy16buddy16 Registered User Posts: 115 Junior Member
    I'm in the process of applying right now :)
  • 11kysta11kysta Registered User Posts: 65 Junior Member
    @buddy16 Nice to meet you. Domestic applicant?
    @11kysta Yeah, I'm from MA. How bout you?
  • toostressed1toostressed1 Registered User Posts: 5 New Member
    Do we have to provide a resume/curriculum vitae? The requirements for the scholarship never state this, yet the general application requires this as a necessary component.
    The program requirements do not state this maybe because without them the general application wouldn't be complete.
    They will have a session where a few Googlers will provide feedback on our resumes and talk about ways to improve them.
    Oh wow, I didn't know that, I thought the resume was just for admission.
    @buddy16 I am an international applicant. Nice to meet you. :)
  • Arsey9Arsey9 Registered User Posts: 40 Junior Member
    Hey guys, I have a question. For those who have an interest in learning computer science applications for engineering but have absolutely NO background in computer science (I've just taken dual enrollment calculus courses), do you recommend only applying for CSSI or for the Generation scholarship as well? I feel like those who get the scholarship are completely sure about computer science or at least have a higher background.
    @11kysta Awesome! Where from?
    @Arsey9 Definitely! The website specifically says: "Google's Computer Science Summer Institute (CSSI) is a three-week introduction to computer science for graduating high school seniors with a passion for technology". It's meant to be an introduction. It's not just for people who want to major in computer science, I know someone that attended the program and majored in electrical engineering. I totally recommend applying.
  • BlueSnailBlueSnail Registered User Posts: 54 Junior Member
    I'm applying too! Does anyone know what the acceptance rate is like?
  • BlueSnailBlueSnail Registered User Posts: 54 Junior Member
    Also, the website says the program is especially for students from "historically underrepresented groups in the field." When I watched the promo video on their website, it seemed like everyone was a woman or from a minority background.

Does this mean I have no shot at getting in as an Asian male?
    @BlueSnail I heard the acceptance rate is quite low and the program, very selective.
    I would say you should apply and as far as being a minority goes, being Asian is considered as being a part of the minority, I believe.
  • medicsunburnmedicsunburn Registered User Posts: 8 New Member
    @11kysta Well, it does say "underrepresented groups", and I don't think the Asian male fits the underrepresented part in CS.
    Ah, yes. Anyway, @BlueSnail should apply. It wouldn't hurt sending in your application now, would it?