Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Please take a moment to read our updated TOS, Privacy Policy, and Forum Rules.

NSLI-Y 2018 - 2019

2»

Replies to: NSLI-Y 2018 - 2019

• shakutonshakuton Registered User Posts: 18 New Member
    I'm a senior applying for a gap year (Korean year). I'm also applying to YES but not CBYX because I don't think I'll have time for another app along with 9 college applications.
  • haylierhaylier Registered User Posts: 5 New Member
    Definitely understandable. I've decided not to bother with many college apps this year, I'm pretty much dead set on taking a gap year, so let's hope one of these programs come through.... NSLI-Y is my top choice.
  • gmwilsongmwilson Registered User Posts: 19 New Member
    Does anyone know if they're accepting fewer people this year because of possible budget cuts to the department of state?
  • citytraveler27citytraveler27 Registered User Posts: 7 New Member
    For whatever reason I can never get the audio to listen to the webinars, anyone else have the same problem?
  • oak2mapleoak2maple Registered User Posts: 109 Junior Member
    @citytraveler27 I had to tie into sound via my cell phone while I watched the video on the computer.
  • houndloverhoundlover Registered User Posts: 16 New Member
    Hey everyone! I went to Chengdu this past summer with NSLI-Y, so if anyone has any questions, or wants me to edit their essays, I would be happy to do so,
  • Dancingmom518Dancingmom518 Registered User Posts: 37 Junior Member
    Anyone out there do the Russian summer program? What factors do you think played the biggest part in your getting accepted?

My sophomore daughter is applying this year. Application is about 80% complete.
  • EmmaPottsEmmaPotts Registered User Posts: 143 Junior Member
    Hey guys, I am an alumna of Korea Summer 2016! If you have any questions feel free to pm me or email me at emmap@oakstreetadvisors.com
    Also, everyone should join the FB Page! NSLIY Applicants 2012-2013 (anyone can join we just can not change the name because of how many members it has) The forum will not let me link it but if you need the link, just contact me.
    I blogged about my experience in Seoul, so if anyone is interested in knowing what the program was like, I would recommend to give it a little read: endeavorswithemma.wordpress .com
  • houndloverhoundlover Registered User Posts: 16 New Member
    @Dancingmom518 I think that the biggest factors in your acceptance are your essays. NSLI-Y really wants to see that you are someone with a passion for learning languages and that can easily adapt to new and challenging situations.
  • Dancingmom518Dancingmom518 Registered User Posts: 37 Junior Member
    Thank you, @houndlover. That's very helpful to know.
2»