Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

What is the best debate camp?

HomerSimpsonHomerSimpson Posts: 207Registered User Junior Member
edited March 2013 in Summer Programs
Which debate camp is the best? I am going to Umich Classic, is that good?
Post edited by HomerSimpson on

Replies to: What is the best debate camp?

• TetragrammatonTetragrammaton Posts: 392Registered User Member
    I went to Stanford National Forensic Institute, and it was fun and valuable. I'm not sure about the Umich Classic; I haven't heard anything about it.

Everyone will tell you about VBI being the best, but it's really only the best for the very progressive, national-circuit debater (I'm a more regional, traditional-style debater). Iowa is also very prestigious.
  • arthurbullaarthurbulla Posts: 373Registered User Member
    Fellows is a really small camp that (as far as I've heard) is more of an evidence factory than a camp, and only takes 10 (ish?) of the top debaters, all by invite.

After that, the "most prestigious" is U Mich 7-week. Northwestern, Michigan State, and Miami of Ohio are all good (4/5-week programs), and there are others around.
  • HomerSimpsonHomerSimpson Posts: 207Registered User Junior Member
    Tetragrammaton, What's VBI?
  • ryan2288ryan2288 Posts: 2,501Registered User Senior Member
    Best Policy debate camps:
    First tier:
    Dartmouth Debate Institute(senior lab only)
    Umich 7 week
    Kentucky Fellows

second tier:
    Umich classic
    Northwestern(Z's, coon)
    UT camps
    Stanford(although there is one lab at stanford that is first tier for sure)
    Miami Ohio
    Capital Classic(DC)
    Michigan State

You couldnt go wrong with any of the camps listed.
  • HomerSimpsonHomerSimpson Posts: 207Registered User Junior Member
    How about Umich "mndi"? (Michigan National Debate Institute)
    We've had issues with DDI and Stanford lately, and this Capital Classic is one I haven't heard of. UT is pretty Kritikal, and the last person we had come out of there wasn't that hot (although that might reflect on him more than the camp).

MNDI is decent, but definitely not on level with Classic. MNDI -> Classic -> 7-Week for U Mich.
  • TetragrammatonTetragrammaton Posts: 392Registered User Member
    I should note that my observations only apply to Lincoln Douglas debate.

VBI is Victory Briefs Institute.

I was in the Advanced Seminar Lab at Stanford. My instructors were a Philosophy PHD candidate with significant debate and a debate coach with 15+ years of experience, both of whom worked together as Apple Valley coaches.
    Ah. Well, my comments apply to Policy, if there's any confusion.
  • fourkidsmomfourkidsmom Posts: 737Registered User Member
    My D went to Emory, Northwestern and Gongzaga. She had always said Michigan State was supposed to be one of the best but she wanted to go where no one else from school had been. I think she liked Northwestern and Gonzaga the best. You'll get a lot out of whatever camp you go to, if you have a good leader. She always looked for the ones that had you debate the most rather than research the most.
  • Gold Heart ThiefGold Heart Thief Posts: 108Registered User Junior Member
    The Maths debate camp. No question. <immature snigger>
  • anisha08anisha08 Posts: 1,438Registered User Senior Member
    It really depends on what type of debate you're doing. For LD, I know that VBI is really good (of course, pay attention to Tetragrammaton's information about how it is more geared towards national-circuit debaters). For novices, SNFI is great to give you an extra boost to stand out amongst your competitors, but my coach says to avoid paying too much attention to their teachings and just take advantage of the evidence they give you.
  • anisha08anisha08 Posts: 1,438Registered User Senior Member
    Anyone going to VBI Session II?
  • NixxiNixxi Posts: 137Registered User Junior Member
    Gongaza is good if you're a hormonally ladened teenager who needs a safe haven to do drugs.
  • nowayjosenowayjose Posts: 251Registered User Junior Member
    Dartmouth Debate Institute
  • potentenumpotentenum Posts: 656Registered User Member
    What about PFD?

I don't have much... Just quarterfinalist in Asia-Pacific Forensics Competition, and ... hoping to do better in a competition in China.

Is Dartmouth's "junior" debate workshop no good?