Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Please take a moment to read our updated TOS, Privacy Policy, and Forum Rules.

Summer Programs That Look Good on College Applications

1717273747577»

Replies to: Summer Programs That Look Good on College Applications

• luckyme123luckyme123 Registered User Posts: 72 Junior Member
    @ihateleonczolgosz - try looking at local universities or through your high school- mine offers several different programs. If push comes to shove check out the local library and volunteer there or you could also get a job at the newspaper/law firm stapling papers. Make the most out of what seems like a bad situation by finding cool experiences rather than sticking with what you know- who knows you might just get a cool application essay about it.
  • Nico.campbellNico.campbell Registered User Posts: 716 Member
    Does anybody know anything about MIT Launch? It seems pretty cool and like it would be pretty helpful when college apps come along...
  • Tps237Tps237 Registered User Posts: 53 Junior Member
    Don't apply to MIT Launch if you're just doing it to look good. Trust me you won't get in. I got in this year and everyone in my group got in because they are super passionate about entrepreneurship. But if you are, you have pretty good chances :)
  • Nico.campbellNico.campbell Registered User Posts: 716 Member
    @Tps237 I wouldn't only apply for college, I was just wondering about it. I'll only do a program that I actually want to do.
  • pleaseacceptme04pleaseacceptme04 Registered User Posts: 1 New Member
    I'm not sure if anyone already asked this yet, but is the Harvard Secondary School Program something to look into.
  • HellenicNatureHellenicNature Registered User Posts: 14 New Member
    What's your opinion about the Stanford Pre-Collegiate Summer Institutes? If you would like to answer, answer here or in a discussion I created concerning only this summer program(http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/summer-programs/1993476-stanford-pre-collegiate-summer-institutes.html#latest)
  • lander01lander01 Registered User Posts: 7 New Member
    I saw that most of the Summer Programs are geared towards Grade 11 or up. Are there any good ones for Grade 7 or 8 students?
  • umstudent7umstudent7 Registered User Posts: 2 New Member
    Is TASS as prestigious as TASP?
  • HamlonHamlon Registered User Posts: 1,111 Senior Member
    @umstudent7 Yes!! I went and it is essentially the same thing as TASP except it has a focus on African Diasporic/Ethnic studies. Just like TASP it's one of the only opportunities for high schoolers to interact and engage advanced texts that many don't even see until graduate school. Please PM me if you have any questions.
  • Chocolate-TacoChocolate-Taco Registered User Posts: 41 Junior Member
    Definitely two great programs, but the value to your college application still depends on what you accomplish in each of them. That said, many students who are motivated to qualify for these programs will be motivated to perform well in these programs :)>-
  • Chocolate-TacoChocolate-Taco Registered User Posts: 41 Junior Member
    Great list! For anyone considering these programs, I'd narrow down my choices based on how completing the program fits into your personal or academic narrative rather than only the prestige.
  • applejuice007applejuice007 Registered User Posts: 164 Junior Member
    edited August 28
    is it easier to get into tasp if u do tass too?? also do u need to be african-american to do tass (just curious)
  • arinumaarinuma Registered User Posts: 160 Junior Member
    @applejuice007 Not sure for the first one, no for the second.
  • watsonsailorlabwatsonsailorlab Registered User Posts: 6 New Member
    edited September 12
    Very competitive program, life changing experience

The Stanford Artificial Intelligence Laboratory’s Outreach Summer program
    http://sailors.stanford.edu/about
  • mel2019mel2019 Registered User Posts: 4 New Member
    Can any former USSYP Alums tell me about what qualifying tests are like? I was recently nominated in Ohio and I am one of 50 students competing to get one of the highest scores on this test. Any study materials or information would be helpful. Also, would you recommend cramming a Princeton Review 5 steps to a 5 AP Gov book before the test? I don't know how broad the information on the test will be.