Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

Summer Academy for Math and Science (SAMS) & AP/EA @ Carnegie-Mellon?

you'llsee...you'llsee... Posts: 4,535Registered User Senior Member
edited May 2013 in Summer Programs
I'm applying to SAMS this year (and AP/EA...the free one) and I really want to go; but I was looking at the SAMS thread the other day, and numerous people mentioned that the acceptance rate was pretty low. [After edit: SAMS (Summer academy for math and Science) is the minority summer program held by Carnegie Mellon. AP/EA is basically the same thing, but a bit more competitive (classes are actual classes taught by Carnegie Mellon profs). ]

What are my Chances at SAMS and AP/EA.

psat: 222 [Cr 78; M 69; Wr 75]
gpa: 4.0 unweighted.
class rank: 1st

Male URM

essays will be excellent (i've won numerous essay contest)

Recs should be good i suppose.

Course Schedule:
APUSH [A]
APchem [A]
Honors Physics [A]
Pre-Cal [A]
Adv. French V [A]
Jazz Band & Web Design [A]

Dual Enrollment @ Drexel U.

Fall courses:
Epidemics: Disease Shaping History [B+...shouldn't have procrastinated]
English 101 [A]

Winter course:
Psychology 101 (in progress)

college gpa = 3.67 (grr)

don't feel like listing the Ec's (i have leadership, passion, etc. w/e)

If i don't get accepted, I'll just spend my whole summer playing Tennis :)
Post edited by you'llsee... on

Replies to: Summer Academy for Math and Science (SAMS) & AP/EA @ Carnegie-Mellon?

• tokenadulttokenadult Posts: 17,473Super Moderator Senior Member
    After edit: I've edited the thread title to reflect your update on what the program abbreviation means. My wild guess is that you have decent chances of getting in. My son got a brochure about those programs (presumably because he has attended a Carnegie Mellon info session here in town) but will be doing something else this summer. Good luck.
  • you'llsee...you'llsee... Posts: 4,535Registered User Senior Member
    thank you Tokenadult...

anybody else?
    sigh.............
  • avl258avl258 Posts: 11Registered User New Member
    U seem to have a really good chance. Remember to make the essays personal and that it really shows why u are diverse. What state are u from?? Because I can tell u how many got into SAMS last year from there.
    I am from Pennsylvania.
  • bco09bco09 Posts: 653Registered User Member
    I would say you have a good chance of being accepted. I would hope that your stats are good enough because they are about the same as mine - 4.0 gpa, 220 psat/2200 SAT... but alas I am a white male so you havea leg up on me there.

I wrote some stellar essays though that i think will give me a solid chance at least. How are your essays? If you are accepted for ap/ea what classes are you considering? I want to major in computer engineering or computer science so i think i'll look for courses in one of those areas.
    If i get accepted into AP/EA, i'll probably do Biology and Calculus I. I am a very gifted writer (sorry to toot my own horn), so my essays will be stellar.
  • tongchen1226tongchen1226 Posts: 698Registered User Member
    its the diversity one, right?
    i went to diversity ap/ea last summer. i had worse stats than yours (220 PSAT, 2nd ranked, etc).
    if you do everything right, you should be able to spend WONDERFUL 6 weeks in pittsburgh.
    i am really glad you are considering it, for i spent the happiest 6 weeks of my life there. : )
    wow, i hope it's as good as you make it sound. What courses did you take?

Also, what was you psat math score? Even though my index score is high, i am worried about the 69 in math, considering the fact that SAMS is a MATH and science academy.
  • tongchen1226tongchen1226 Posts: 698Registered User Member
    i dont think having a non-stellar math score will hurt your chances. some of my friends in diversity ap/ea were very humanities-oriented and i believe some had lower math scores than 69.
    i took intro to ethics and intro to programming. id recommend ap/ea over SAMS. according to the responses i got from people in SAMS (with all due respect to CMU), the program was not challenging at all. someone told me they were learning algebra II materials in their classes. i dont know about you, but that didnt sound very fun to me.
    ew...Alg II?

the description for Seniors says Differential Calculus.

anyway, I put SAMS as my first choice (since it's less competitive) and AP/EA as my second choice, because the website said that people who apply to SAMS and are overqualified will be invited to do AP/EA. I don't know if I'm overqualified though, but hey, I'll give it a shot.
  • avl258avl258 Posts: 11Registered User New Member
    They actually give u a test the first few days and if u get a low score then u take pre-calc (one class takes more algebra but it depends on teacher). If u do well on the test u get into calc. SAMS is not that hard on the math part but some projects might give u tons of homework(SAT prep gives u a lot of homework too). A few do get placed on AP/EA. Just remember that its main purpose is to give u a preview of college life, so whatever summer program u get into, just have fun because its a great experience.
    Question about the essays:

Is it one page sing spaced or double spaced? I assume single spaced.

Also, if SAMS is my 1st choice, and I mark AP/EA as my second choice, do I have to do the essay for AP/EA as well as SAMS?