Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

Binghamton Vs. Geneseo

erikl88erikl88 Posts: 3Registered User New Member
edited November 2007 in SUNY at Binghamton
pros and cons?
Post edited by erikl88 on

Replies to: Binghamton Vs. Geneseo

• giogio11giogio11 Posts: 38Registered User Junior Member
    im wondering the same thing.
    Geneseo is smaller
  • AFireInside530AFireInside530 Posts: 114Registered User Junior Member
    Binghamton:
    14,000 students

Geneseo:
    5,500 students

Binghamton=University
    Geneseo=College

Binghamton=better reputation
    Geneseo=Largely unheard of

Geneseo=better campus
    Binghamton=worse campus

Binghamton= Liberal Arts
    Geneseo=sciences etc

Binghamton= small city
    Geneseo=1 road town

Geneseo is close to Rochester
    Binghamton is close to Binghamton :)

Both almost average in terms of statistics
  • AwakienAwakien Posts: 234Registered User Junior Member
    Geneseo used to be a private university before it came under the SUNY system - meaning its a much higher budget institution.

From what Ive heard the academics at Geneseo are for the most part on par with Binghamton, but Binghamton has more of the science opportunities while the arts are better at Geneseo.

Geneseo's campus is beautiful, Bing's is butt ugly. Bing is "urban" (if u can call binghamton a city at all), and Geneseo is majorly suburban. (close to rural)
  • tangentstangents Posts: 172Registered User Junior Member
    I'll tell you one thing, the city of Binghamton is the most crappy place I have ever visited. I recently visited this week and that fact alone is blowing me away and choosing another school. I hear the town of Geneseo is very nice and it's like a small LAC- although It's made of largely white females from what I hear.
  • aalya123aalya123 Posts: 38Registered User Junior Member
    The area around Binghamton is really dumpy and run-down...but i guess because the campus is situated in the valley, it makes up for it....kinda...

Geneseo is a very hilly campus, and things are somewhat spread apart. Very lush and green. Geneseo is also in a valley too. The town is small though, but you have basically everything you need like Pizza Hut, Starbucks, and Taco Bell.

And don't be fooled that Geneseo might not have a name yet. It's has made itself a name in Grad schools like Georgetown, Columbia, Harvard, and Johns Hopkins. Have you seen Kiplinger's Best Values in Public Colleges? It's a list of all the top 100 Public schools in the nation for academics and price. Geneseo is #7 Bing is #9. Stony Brook, Albany, Fredonia, Plattsburgh, Buffalo, and New Paltz also made the list. So the SUNY system isn't completely unknown.
    the SUNY system is definitely coming out of the dust...

Bing is turning out to be an excellent place w/ many bright students.
    Stony Brook has had many breakthroughs and is definitely leading in the areas of science and research.
    And Geneseo is being looked upon as a great Liberal Arts college.

Compared to other public universities however, sadly other states are still ahead - California, Michigan, and Virginia just to name a few.
  • iwantbinghamtoniwantbinghamton Posts: 48Registered User Junior Member
    both are really great schools, i'm going to bing for biology. but i have a question....is binghamton really a "public ivy"? it is as good as an ivy??
    public ivy? sadly, no
    A public ivy would be UC Berkeley, U Michigan, or U Virginia.

However...
    Binghamton's academics are very respectable and are comparable to some of the top colleges in the nation. I believe that in the years to come, Bing will move up the charts as a great public niversity.
  • aalya123aalya123 Posts: 38Registered User Junior Member
    Lots of people consider Geneseo a Public Ivy....some people consider it a Public Honors College....

You want to know why people dont like Binghamton....is because the majority of kids who go there were Ivy League rejects or Couldn't afford Ivy League....thats why princeton review one year named Binghamton with "most unhappiest students" when you first meet someone, within five minutes you'd be asked "So what was your first choice?" If you really want to go to Binghamton, than you'll be happy there.
  • collegeparentcollegeparent Posts: 891Registered User Member
    The 8 Public Ivies are as follows:
    UVa
    Cal-Berkeley
    Michigan
    UNC
    Texas
    William & Mary
    UCLA
    Wisconsin

Also in the running:
    Georgia Tech
    Illinois U-C
    Miami of Ohio
    UCSan Diego

Well ahead of any SUNY School:
    Delaware
    Maryland
    Penn State
    UConn
    Rutgers
    UMass
    UNH
    Vermont
    Indiana
    Iowa
    Kansas
    Missouri
    Minnesota
    Ohio State
    Ohio U
    Purdue
    Clemson
    Georgia
    James Madison
    NC State
    U South Carolina
    Virginia Tech
    Arizona
    Cal Poly SLO
    Colorado
    UC Davis
    UC Irvine
    UC Santa Barbara
    U Washington
    for starters -- and none of these will ever be considered "public Ivies" -- and neither should any SUNY school.

If you want an Ivy education, public or private in New York State, go to Columbia or Cornell. If you want an Ivy-caliber education in New York state, go to Colgate, Barnard or Vassar. You can even add to that group Hamilton, Rochester, NYU and RPI -- and yes, even St. Lawrence, Union and Skidmore, all well ahead of Binghamton in what they offer their students and more important, their graduates.

As long as the lawmakers in Albany refuse to have a flagship campus for the SUNY system, Binghamton will never break its Third Tier status.
    collegeparent:
    Im happy to hear that URochester's academics are considered to be ivy-caliber =) (ill be there in the fall) - I think Rochester,NYU, and RPI can definitely offer an ivy-caliber education - just not in all disciplines the way ivy schools do. RPI is ivy-caliber engineering. NYU is ivy-caliber arts and business. Rochester is ivy-caliber Physics,engineering, business, and social science.

I agree that schools like Colgate, Barnard, and Vassar can offer a great education in many disciplines - though I must say that the sciences at Vassar might be lacking...

As for the SUNY system -
    It is a sad, but true, fact that the SUNY system is indeed behind in comparison to other public universities. However - I'd like to point out that the graduate programs at SUNY Stony Brook are beginning to be recognized nationally and internationally as some of THE best in the world. Physics at Stony Brook ranks among the ivies according to the National Research Council's studies and has attracted many highly qualified faculty and talented students - which will continue to push stony brook foward. I believe there will be a flagship campus for the SUNY system in the near future - and I think it will be Stony Brook.

BInghamton? eh....not sure..
  • collegeparentcollegeparent Posts: 891Registered User Member
    Awakien, you could be right about a flagship SUNY being on Long Island; however, because of its "central" location, it'd probably go to Binghamton -- but that's wait-and-see.

And you're right about Stony Brook's graduate sciences; they are gaining but they do have a long way to go, but at least they're going.
  • konstantine804konstantine804 Posts: 23Registered User New Member
    wow a lot of you are way off on your facts.
    I've spent the last year researching schools and I visited Geneseo and Binghamton
    And I'm from NY so I know the SUNY system pretty well

for the person who said Binghamton=liberal arts
    and Geneseo= sciences
    it's the other way around...maybe you knew that but just mixed them up by accident because you were pretty accurate with everything else

For the person who listed a bunch of schools "Well ahead of any SUNY School" You are wrong about most of them; udel, uconn, vermont, new hampshire, Umass, Rutgers to name a few...c'mon binghamton and geneseo are way up there when it comes to state schools, yes not up there with UVa but pretty up there. Statistically (looking at the GPA and SAT averages and percent admitted), Binghamton and Geneseo are way more competitive than most of those schools. There are a bunch of schools I'm applying to including Udel, UMD, Uconn and Penn state but at the top of my list are Binghamton and Geneseo because they're the best ones

Also, Binghamton is rated higher than stonybrook though stonybrook may have a better science program

Oh and it is true that a lot of people who are rejected from, say, Cornell decide to go to Binghamton but actually Binghamton has a 92% freshman-to-sophomore year retention rate which means a lot of students decide to return for a second year, indicating they are happy there (after all, transferring is not such an uncommon or difficult practice). That percentage is higher than many other colleges and universities. I know A LOT of people who go to Binghamton and they absolutely LOVE it there. And I think the fact many students who even have a shot at an ivy league school and decide to go to binghamton is a positive one. Those students probably could go to UVA or some other great school but they chose binghamton. I think that says a lot about the school.

I'm going to have to agree on the whole ugly campus thing for Binghamton. That is one of the factors that is making me lean towards Geneseo. I want a nice atmosphere.
  • konstantine804konstantine804 Posts: 23Registered User New Member
    sorry I meant percent accepted not percent admitted
  • dwinchodwincho Posts: 573Registered User Member
    Well ahead of any SUNY School:
    Delaware
    Maryland
    Penn State
    UConn
    Rutgers
    UMass
    UNH
    Vermont