Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

Gay life at Binghamton

Adam231Adam231 Posts: 1Registered User New Member
edited August 2009 in SUNY at Binghamton
I'll be attending Binghamton in the fall but I'm a bit worried when it comes to my sexual orientation. For the most part, are people accepting of different lifestyles?
I'm very worried about having a homophobic roommate...... Hopefully this will not be the case. I really don't want to end up being an outcast.

If any current students can give me some info on the campus environment, that would be awesome.

Thanks!
Post edited by Adam231 on

Replies to: Gay life at Binghamton

• stephennnstephennn Posts: 2,103Registered User Senior Member
    it's NY. for the most part everyone is accepting, but there will ALWAYS be someone that isn't. chances are you won't end up with a homophobic roomie.

can't talk about anything else. i'm not a current student, i'm not even going there lol good luck!
  • BingAmbassadorBingAmbassador Posts: 379Registered User Member
    Here is a website that may help. It is a Rainbow Pride student group on campus: binghamtonpride.org

As a student that has many gay or bisexual friends, I have never really seen people be non-accepting. However, Stephennn is right in that there always are those few that won't be. Hope the website helps.
  • BurntFlowerBurntFlower Posts: 65Registered User Junior Member
    I'm bisexual, and nobody really cared. As for the roommate, I doubt s/he will have any problems with that, unless you have really bad luck.

Good luck to you!
  • PerfectedxchaosPerfectedxchaos Posts: 872Registered User Member
    It's a pretty liberal school, and I think most students are open minded towards it!
  • orcasand0wlsorcasand0wls Posts: 81Registered User Junior Member
    Absolutely check out RPU (Rainbow Pride Union), the on-campus GSA-type club. They host lots of events, and they have their own lounge which is a safe space. You'll also see signs with a rainbow triangle on them that have a list of people all over campus who are trained in awareness and sensitivity and such, I forget what the program is called, but their offices are safe spaces.

The majority of students are open-minded and tolerant, and the school definitely has a left-of-center vibe. You certainly don't need to worry about being harassed.