Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

what's stony brook like?

tegomassislovetegomassislove Posts: 5Registered User New Member
edited January 2011 in SUNY at Stony Brook
i don't mean the university campus, i mean OUTSIDE and around the university campus. is it in rural or urban place? i've never been to stony brook before and i live in vemront .__. i want a big city. if it's a small town, is it close to flushing? or how far is it from like, big cities? and are cars a necessity? ?

tha nk you!
Post edited by tegomassislove on

Replies to: what's stony brook like?

• DJStonyDJStony Posts: 348Registered User Member
    The surrounding area is primarily residential. The town of Port Jefferson, which lies on the waterfront, is a 10 minute car ride. The area around the University is by no means urban city.

You do not need a vehicle (I didn't have one until my last year). Most of what you need is on or immediately around campus and many of your friends will likely have vehicles. Freshman/Sophomores are generally not entitled to parking privileges as well.

The University is about an hour from the city by car and a bit more my train. The University has its own LIRR train station on campus.