Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

stonybrooksucks.com

ironicallyunsureironicallyunsure Posts: 2,059- Senior Member
edited January 2010 in SUNY at Stony Brook
Stony Brook Sucks.com - You bet it Sucks!

thoughts/comments?

if you like/love SB, why?

and if you dislike/hate SB, why?
Post edited by ironicallyunsure on

Replies to: stonybrooksucks.com

• teamfrangela92teamfrangela92 Posts: 880Registered User Member
    I have never really liked Stony Brook because it's a commuter school and the campus is really ugly. I could never see myself going there.

BUT, it still has great academics, especially in the sciences.
  • avigohpavigohp Posts: 28Registered User New Member
    haha i find it funny/sad it has its own dedicated sucking website, but i thought the campus looked alright
  • Steven89Steven89 Posts: 76Registered User Junior Member
    StonyBrookSucks.com sucks.
  • ironicallyunsureironicallyunsure Posts: 2,059- Senior Member
    i disagree, stevens89, but feel free to tell us why you think so :)
  • Malishka31Malishka31 Posts: 2,971Registered User Senior Member
    if SB sucks it is your fault- school is what you make of it.
  • frasifrasifrasifrasi Posts: 959Registered User Member
    I agree with Malishka, if you expect the school to make your experience a great one, you will be disappointed. With that said, there are schools with a lot more resources than stony brook, but if you can't get into them or go there why bother comparing? Whether a school is good or not is relative; among sunys, i think it is probably the best overall. Among all state schools, it is def not the best.

It also depends on your priorities. For ams, physics, math, engineering, the school is very well regarded. If you want school spirit and athletics, this school is definitely not it.

As far as stonybrooksucks.com , the website hasn't been updated in like 8 years and last I head, the person who owns it was selling the site, so I don't see a point in revisitting it. but if you like that kind of humor, The Press newspaper often has funny articles ridiculing the school/administration.
  • avigohpavigohp Posts: 28Registered User New Member
    well unless the site creator would be totally pathetic, i would hope he would eventually get over his experience in sbu haha.

I think you said it well frasifrasi, but you also stated the problem. More people than not, want "the school spirit and athletics," even though there's much more to it than that. Those things shape the other part of college that you don't want to miss out: fun.

Of course school is what you make of it, but for some it has to be "spoon-fed."
  • frasifrasifrasifrasi Posts: 959Registered User Member
    Yeah, I think you are right, too. if you want the "fun" part, you do have to make an extra effort here at stony brook. For example, I transferred in after two years at penn state, and there, going to any football/volleyball/soccer/basketball/etc game was guaranteed craziness. There is the fraternity roll right on campus where you can show up and party wildly any time. Good luck finding a party to go to at stony brook... Unless you know someone throwing one in west, there is nothind to do fri/sat nights. They used to have free rides to clubs on thursdays, but that is over.

I do miss these things, but I knew what to expect when I applied here. That is why it depends on what you want in a school, unless someone forced you to go here lol.
  • Steven89Steven89 Posts: 76Registered User Junior Member
    I like Stony Brook. I went there with a friend during one of his schooldays to take care of things I needed to do (forms and whatnot) and really liked it.

People say it's ugly, but if they were expecting a school like Columbia, I'm not sure what they were smoking. The school was built right after WWII, when our country had very little money. Compared to schools like UAlbany, which is a slab of concrete, it's pretty nice.

Kids go to the school from Cali and say "This town is BS." Well, you came from a state which is essentially one big city and you're moving to a less populated area than suburbia. "This isn't a party school." You're kidding, right? It might be a commuter school, but DAMN, I've seen pictures of those parties from friends who went. College is about networking-- if you're a freshie, find someone to give you booze and some green if it's what you want. If you stay locked up in your room studying but complain that you never have any fun, only YOU are to blame for that.

"It's not what you know, it's who you know." That's what college is all about. People who say the school sucks seem to be boring people who don't have friends that like to have fun. Again, that's their own fault, not the school's suckness-factor. Make the most of what you've got and you'll have a great time. Don't wanna? You should know what I'm about to say... don't complain.
  • Malishka31Malishka31 Posts: 2,971Registered User Senior Member
    I transffered in from UCLA, i hated it there and I prefer stony brooks atmosphere, but then again, i do not live on campus and my life has nothing to do with "college" life.

I am pretty sure that 99% of people would love UCLA over SB. But SB is meeting my needs and I am happy with that.

At the end of the day , your ability to party,or go to a more sports games isnt what you are in college for, you are there for an education.
    it all depends on what you want i guess.

i'm happy to be leaving. i just hate so much about it. that said, i met some great people and i got 2 best friends from stony (thought one also transferred out) and i can't imagine life without them. i've had some really great profs too. i was a psych major at sb, and if you have the chance, take drugs and the brain with dr. whitaker and any class with dr. brennan. brennan in particular is an amazing woman. drugs and the brain was probably the best class i took at sb.
  • rubygretarubygreta Posts: 48Registered User Junior Member
    Years ago Stony was probably one of the ugliest campuses in the country. Miraculously, they have done an incredible job sprucing it up. No it's not Cornell or Vassar or Wesleyan, but if you reject Stony because of the appearance of the campus, there's something wrong.
    stony makes me think of jails, except for the new engineering building that's basically hidden away next to the computing center. the fountain is the only pretty thing they've got going for them (which is probably why it's in every picture of stony). i wouldn't not go because of the campus though, so i do agree with that point.
  • VersiiVersii Posts: 503Registered User Member
    If you know that you dislike Stony Brook that much, by all means do not apply. There are actually some students who are interested in attending, so don't waste a spot or your time ranting about a great SUNY school.
    uh, excuse you. i started at stony but now i go to cornell. so i did make room for other kids who want to be there. and now i'll have a pretty ivy league degree and they can have their stony brook one.

you may want to consider reading the whole thread before making random comments.