Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Please take a moment to read our updated TOS, Privacy Policy, and Forum Rules.

Discover Swarthmore 2016

123457»

Replies to: Discover Swarthmore 2016

• donnaleighgdonnaleighg Registered User Posts: 1,120 Senior Member
    Discover Swarthmore is a program primarily designed to expose URMs to a school that was probably off their radar. In no way does it mean that you are "discriminated against" in admissions because you don't attend. My white, upper-middle-class son is currently a happy junior there, as are plenty of other non-kids-of-color.
  • TheGreyKingTheGreyKing Registered User Posts: 778 Member
    I never understand when people complain about reverse discrimination. My husband and I both went to elite colleges ourselves and have the knowledge and means to bring our son on college visits. Other people have parents who may not have gone to college and don't know how to 'play the admissions game,' and/or may come from schools where almost no one goes to an elite college and their guidance counselors don't know much about the admissions process, and/or may not be able to afford a cross country trip to visit a college. 'Discover Swarthmore' is needed by such students. My son doesn't need a program like that. It is in no way 'discrimination' not to include my son! Programs like these aim at reducing inequality of opportunity. And if you look at the stats being posted by the kids accepted, they are excellent! No one can argue that the students being accepted to these programs are applicants who would not stand a good chance of being admitted on merit alone. Their stats are among the highest stats possible. And, yes, ArborS, "white" kids who are living in poverty (or qualify for free or reduced lunch or whatever) are also included in these programs. Just not middle class kids who don't need the college to pay for their trip.
    Congratulations and good luck to the attendees, and good luck in the admissions process to those who were not accepted.
  • QueenOfBohemiaQueenOfBohemia Registered User Posts: 317 Member
    edited October 2016
    @ArborS Wow, really? Decisions came out over a month or two ago, yet you're still salty about this? This is Swarthmore's way of encouraging more diversity for its student body, and you knew this. If you can't handle it, then this program wasn't meant for you in the first place. This is coming from a black girl who got waitlisted and eventually rejected from this program, by the way.
123457»