Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Please take a moment to read our updated TOS, Privacy Policy, and Forum Rules.

Swat vs. Haverford

123457»

Replies to: Swat vs. Haverford

• SwatGradSwatGrad Registered User Posts: 182 Junior Member
    InterestedDad -- it's not only girls from the northeast and Mid Atlantic who face the most daunting of odds.... more specifically its' non URM girls who don't want to major in math or science.... from anyplace, USA including California and other parts west of the Mississippi
  • dramaticadramatica Registered User Posts: 200 Junior Member
    With admission rates being as low as they are at the most selective schools, the odds are daunting for everyone, URM, science girls, athletes, legacies and even large donor kids.
    Eyeball,

I do not think that your D needs to be concerned about feeling second rate.

Most of the taunts are just good natured fun. I do not believe that some of the "nasty" postings, you may have seen here, are indicative of the feelings of the majority of Swatties.

With nothing but gut instinct to back me up, I would even venture to say that the nasty comments are NOT representative of the majority and that many Swatties would be appalled by what is being said. Most Swarthmore students tend to be nice, caring, non-competitive, down to earth and self-deprecating at times. As with any school, or social/professional setting for that matter, there are always the arrogant types, but you will find those anywhere, even at the allegedly more "laid back" Haverford.

My guess is that some of the most outlandish statements that are made on these boards are made to incite and stir, just for fun. Therefore, they should not be taken too seriously. For instance, I am fond of Duhvinci and his outrageous comments, often sprinkled with several shades of truth. He makes me smile with his antics and I believe that deep down inside he is a well-meaning pussycat who happens to have a devilish streak. (I wish I could meet him to see if I am right!)

The three schools (Haverford, BM and Swat) have joint programs and activities open to students from all three. My D, a Swattie, has been involved in some of the programs and has made good friends with students from the other two schools. I have never heard her, or her Swattie friends, refer negatively about the other two schools or their students.

Swarthmore is a good fit for some, but not others and the same can be said about Haverford, Bryn Mawr, Williams, Amherst, Pomona, Carleton, etc, etc. They all have different strengths and weakenesses and although some students will feel more at ease in one over another, in the end any student who is fortunate to attend any of these type of schools can count themselves extremely lucky, because admission has become nothing but a crap shoot....
  • EndicottEndicott Registered User Posts: 1,435 Senior Member
    Yes, I agree that admission is a crapshoot. Obviously each of these schools can fill its ranks with top students.
  • momof3sonsmomof3sons Registered User Posts: 5,116 Senior Member
    eyeball,
    My S is a Swat graduate. He participated in an a cappella group which mixed students from Haverford, Swat and Bryn Mawr. I hosted the whole group at my house twice when they were performing in our area. I guarantee you that there was no way that you could look at this group and point to a student and accurately guess that he or she went to one school or the other. They were all nice, accomplished kids. Haverford is a great school! You should be proud of your daughter. :)
  • DuhvinciDuhvinci Registered User Posts: 192 Junior Member
    dramatica: before you can confirm what you think of me, i have two questions:

1. are you hot?
    2. may i call you "mrs. robinson?"
  • pointoforderpointoforder Registered User Posts: 546 Member
    I think my sadness derives from reading the snooty "Swarthmore is just so clearly superior and Haverford is comparatively second rate" comments. It makes me wonder if she's going to be encountering it at Haverford since the two schools are so close to each other.

I have to say you won't have to worry about that. This site is not representative of the real world or what she will experience. First at Haverford, I met MANY students who turned down offers from Swarthmore, Amherst, Brown, and Princeton. Not to mention tons who applied early decision and surely would have been admitted elsewhere, but are happy to be at their first choice.

Haverford students are overwhelmingly happy with their choice and realize that they are getting an amazing education. Here's an example of a uniquely Haverford educational expereience: Haverford College News Room : PATHS TO PEACE Students will tell you that most of their friends at other colleges (even LACs) aren't frequently getting these types of experiences.

My Haverford roommates and I (11 people total over four years) went on to graduate from Harvard Law, Harvard Business (2), Harvard Kennedy, Yale Med, UPenn Med (2), Yale Ph.D (2), UC Berkeley Business, Columbia Law, MIT Ph.D, Harvard Education, and no grad degree (1). So, I think we 'Fords have landed on our feet.
  • bears and dogsbears and dogs - Posts: 3,076 Senior Member
    ^^ hey watch it duhvinci
    she is the (only) one who been always supportive and saw thru you under the facade ever since when you were frosh and gotten thrown your underwear outa window
    and of course she is the hottest mom you could imagine
    Thanks Bear!

and you Duh, are certainly more clever than that!
  • A.E.A.E. Registered User Posts: 398 Member
    eyeball wrote:
    Please don't tell me that every one who was admitted to Swarthmore 3 weeks ago is a) my daughter's intellectual superior and b) has credentials that exceeded hers in any appreciable way.

I won't tell you that. What I will tell you is that Swarthmore students are generally brighter than Haverford students, and that I think anyone who elects to go to Haverford is making a mistake. It's not very good IMO.
  • bears and dogsbears and dogs - Posts: 3,076 Senior Member
    ^ I was wrong, ever since when you were pre frosh and ranting about Haverford shirt. She knew rightaway that you are "special"
123457»
This discussion has been closed.