Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

how do you pronounce swarthmore?

SDonCCSDonCC Posts: 2,182Registered User Senior Member
edited November 2009 in Swarthmore
Do you say the first "r" or not??

Is it pronounced "swathmore" or "swarthmore?"
Post edited by SDonCC on

Replies to: how do you pronounce swarthmore?

• HarrietMWelschHarrietMWelsch Posts: 2,119Registered User Senior Member
    Swarthmore College :: Writing Program :: A Sociolinguistic Investigation<br/> of the Pronunciation of Swarthmore

Though I don't think their samples were broad enough. In short, though, both are accepted.
  • mythmommythmom Posts: 8,305Registered User Senior Member
    Oohh, cute, interesting. Harriet, thanks for posting, because I have felt so gauche in that I could not make myself drop the "r".

I like the young linguists looking at this.

And I think this is probably a fairly consistent phenomenon, that a local population will evolve its own pronunciation and entering folks WILL apply rules from other situations.

Cases in point: I live in Suffolk (Suffik -- not proper symbols, I know) County, but my dad insisted on calling it Suffo-l-k county.

And visitors frequently call Houston Street in New York Houston Street as in Houston, Texas.

I think Bowdoin has a more interesting problem with it's name, which is wittily addressed in a cartoon on its website. Just when the pronunciation is sorted out, I think someone says, "Oh, so this is Colby?"

Vassar actually imports a program to pronounce Poughkeepsie for purusers.
  • cadence76cadence76 Posts: 318Registered User Member
    And please, don't anybody pronounce the "H" in Amherst!
  • PizzagirlPizzagirl Posts: 24,166Registered User Senior Member
    As a Philly native, even though I haven't lived there in ages, I would say "Swathmore." No r. I also drop the r from Charlie; it comes out more like Cholly unless I make an effort otherwise.
  • ForgetmenotsForgetmenots Posts: 506Registered User Member
    Also a Philly native, and this being my third year at Swat...I pronounce it with the r. I think that basically all students pronounce it with the r but many locals (from the area - not Philly) drop the r, as the linked article seems to agree with. :]
  • ToolmakerToolmaker Posts: 75Registered User Junior Member
    I live in New Jersey, near Trenton: Chre-in. I retain the first "R" Swarthmore, My Colleague (from PA.) drops it.
  • mrmarkymrmarky Posts: 13Registered User New Member
    just got a DVD from Swarthmore - it's pronounced both ways by the students in the video.