Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Please take a moment to read our updated TOS, Privacy Policy, and Forum Rules.

Besides Rice and UT, what else is good for a top student in Texas?

Replies to: Besides Rice and UT, what else is good for a top student in Texas?

• prezbuckyprezbucky Registered User Posts: 3,494 Senior Member
    edited March 2016
    Already multiple quality schools have been mentioned.

If New Orleans is not too far away, I would add Tulane to the pile. It isn't as selective as Rice but its rep is pretty strong. It's a pretty campus in a beautiful section of New Orleans. If you're in East Texas, the drive might not be too terrible.

Anyway, it would be a good mid-sized private university option to fill the chasm between, say, Rice and SMU.
  • CorpusChristiCorpusChristi Registered User Posts: 321 Member
    @prezbucky Tulane is something I hadn't thought of. But we're in south Texas so it would be quite a hike. Texas is so huge it's almost its own country when it comes to how many colleges it has (being somewhat facetious)
    Not that she's not going to consider out of state colleges -- she will --as soon as she's done with the semester and June college tests she's going to look more into all of this. I guess you could say dad is jumping the gun somewhat.
  • Youdon'tsayYoudon'tsay Registered User Posts: 18,988 Senior Member
    Hey, it's not too soon to start obsessing here, among friends. ;) Just don't let your dd know how anxious you are.
    I think the horse is out of the gate. lol
  • prezbuckyprezbucky Registered User Posts: 3,494 Senior Member
    I figure caring a bit too much is miles better than not caring enough. So being prepared for any questions she might have is, to me, a pretty solid move.

• jjloehrjjloehr Registered User Posts: 55 Junior Member
    @CorpusChristi Yes, I was referring to listing the #1 school with Nat'l Merit corp. You have until May 1st, or even later like May 31 to pick which school you want. Not until you do that is your Nat'l Merit Scholy final at that school, and they don't immediately tell you what your whole financial aid package will be until they are listed #1. You have to work a little harder to figure out exact financial aid prior to listing them #1, but you can figure it out with a little effort and comms with fin aid departments. My S ended get NM Scholar, so he gets money from them, on top of whatever schools do. Finalists have a 50/50 chance of that.
    @jjloehr thanks for solving that mystery! Good luck to your S!
  • zebbadimdayzebbadimday Registered User Posts: 40 Junior Member
    If your D likes SMU and/or TCU, I would encourage her to apply. Considering your daughter's stats, both schools would probably offer her great scholarships - perhaps even a full ride. My DC found Rice a bit too small but did like the non-greek aspect. UT was just huge, plus my DC didn't particularly like Austin (I know, right?!?!). Chose SMU over TCU based on the honors program. Really couldn't pass up the money SMU offered, particularly since post-grad work is on the horizon. Good luck!
    @zebbadimday that's great advice. Thank you! :)>-
  • BaylorpolyBaylorpoly Registered User Posts: 415 Member
    Does anybody know if you receive priority registration at Texas A&M if you are in the cadet program? Are the cadets sort of insulted away from the rest of the student body at large!
  • VANURSEPRACVANURSEPRAC Registered User Posts: 541 Member
    @jjloehr you are very helpful indeed.
  • b0902206b0902206 Registered User Posts: 14 New Member
    @CorpusChristi Not sure if you're still checking this thread, but I can vouch for UH. Kind of disappointed that so few people are pushing it! I'm a freshman here with a full ride scholarship from the university (Tier One scholarship). The Honors College here sounds like it could be a good fit for your daughter... for example, all Honors freshmen take a course called the Human Situation, a "great books" course that's basically Honors English/ history/ political science/ philosophy mixed together. PM me if you (or anyone else) has any questions about UH/ Houston/ Honors :)
    @b0902206 Yes that's good to know! We're hoping to visit in July and learn a little more about the program. Perhaps I can have her pm you later on in a few months if she has questions.
  • MariaHEHEMariaHEHE Registered User Posts: 79 Junior Member
    Baylor and TCU, not just for top students, but students who have top money to attend.
This discussion has been closed.