Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Please take a moment to read our updated TOS, Privacy Policy, and Forum Rules.

Can you recommend me some colleges?

lessonwitch2lessonwitch2 Registered User Posts: 505 Member
I am a junior and I want to get into mechanical engineering in college but I have a bad gpa. Since sophomore year my guidance counselor told me that I couldn't bring up my grades up enough for a decent engineering school with undergraduate research opportunities.

I want to find a school with undergraduate research opportunities, summer Study-Abroad-for-credit trips, a BS/MS program, and/or a 1 year Co Op program. I need them to be a schools that gives out merit aid that I MAY qualify for since I'm likely going to receive very little financial aid.

My Stats
Goal - SAT 1300 (m 650 and cr 650)
Goal - ACT 30 (m27 and cr27)
Goal - Top 25% of graduating class
PSAT – 1270 (600m, 670cr &w)(Will improve)
GPA – 3.42 w, 3.28uw (Will improve – I'm bringing up a 1.9 gpa freshman year)
Class rank: 176/702(Will improve) (magnet school)

My Classes
9th_____________10th________________11th ____________ 12th

Spanish 2_______ Spanish 3(H)________Comp Sci 1(IB)____ Comp Sci 2 (IB)
Geometry(H)_____ Algebra 2(H)_________Pre-Calculus (DC)__ Calculus AB (AP)
Biology 1 (AP)____Chemistry 1(H)_______Physics 1 (AP) __ *Chemistry 2 (AP)
English 1(H)______English 2 (Pre AP)___English Lang (AP)__English Lit (*DC or AP)
Human Geo(AP)__World History (AP)_____US History (DC)____US Gov (DC) / Psychology (DC)
Ac Oct___________Ac Oct____________ Ac Dec(H)________*Algebraic Music or Engineering Design
Art 1 (IB)_________Film 2 (IB)_________ Film 3 (IB)________ Film 4 (IB)
Soccer___________Construction mgnt __Color guard _______ Color Guard / Ac Dec (H)

My Clubs
Church youth group – founder / president (2010-present) and 1500 hours of community service
Academic Decathlon – President and winner in math, science, music, and economics (2013(or 2011 if you count lone star) -present)
Book Club – President (2014-present)
Film making society – Officer and music composer (2014 – present)
Color Guard / Winter guard – (2014 (Composer) and 2015(member) – present)
Technology Student Association (structural design) (2015-present)

Here's the list of schools I'm eyeing.
Reach -University of Southern California
Reach - UT (@Austin)
Reach - UT - D
Fair Bet - Texas A&M
Fair Bet - Texas Tech
Safety-Texas State University

Replies to: Can you recommend me some colleges?

• Nevets04Nevets04 Registered User Posts: 137 Junior Member
    You're actually an automatic admit at UT Dallas (1200 SAT score + all required credits = assured admission).
  • Nevets04Nevets04 Registered User Posts: 137 Junior Member
    ^ EDIT: I didn't realize that those were projected SAT scores. Sorry about that. But yeah, if you're confident that you can get a 1200+, then UTD is a safety for you. Also, UTD is very generous with merit scholarships, so you should definitely look into that.

I'm surprised Texas A&M isn't higher on your list. Doesn't A&M have a better mechanical engineering program than UTD? I would assume so, but I'm not positive.

• lessonwitch2lessonwitch2 Registered User Posts: 505 Member
    @Nevets04

Texas A&M and USC are my dream schools, but since USC is harder to get into then A&M I put it above. And thanks, I I though UT-D only had the top 15% admissions thing. That's one less competitive school for me to deal with! :)
This discussion has been closed.