Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

Is A&M a good school?

marisarinkevichmarisarinkevich Posts: 13Registered User New Member
edited November 2010 in Texas A&M University
I've lived in Texas all my life and almost half of every class from my small private highschool has gone here (and usually just because they couldn't get into a "better" school or they couldn't let go of high school and wanted to be with their friends), so it seems like a pretty mundane and ordinary school to me. But they have a Genetics major that I'm in love with and I hear about kids, even OOS students, busting it just trying to make it in, so I'm wondering if someone outside of my high school could give me a better perspective - how good of a school is Texas A&M? Would I have a good chance of getting into med school or graduate school by going here?
Post edited by marisarinkevich on

Replies to: Is A&M a good school?

• idk2016idk2016 Posts: 87Registered User Junior Member
  • boneh3adboneh3ad Posts: 5,394Registered User Senior Member
    TAMU is a great school. A lot of people go there because it is one of the two major state schools in a very large state, but that doesn't mean it is a bad school. Heck, UT is even bigger, but I don't hear you making the argument that they are worse because of it. I can't comment on the genetics program, as it isn't even close to my area of expertise, but I can tell you that TAMU is a quality school at a very quality price.
  • iambored10iambored10 Posts: 1,571Registered User Senior Member
    Well your going to get a biased opinion by posting this in a TAMU forum. Obviously. Sounds like your a troll too.
  • boneh3adboneh3ad Posts: 5,394Registered User Senior Member
    And how is my opinion biased? I didn't attend undergrad here. I didn't even grow up in this state, so I don't have the UT-TAMU grudge match instilled at me from birth. In fact, I applied to both schools for graduate school and still have tons of respect for UT. Heck, the fact that I am calling it UT instead of "t.u." ought to give you some idea of how little I care about that silly rivalry. What answer would you have given?
  • univ2011univ2011 Posts: 2Registered User New Member
    My niece gratuated with a major in Genetics and Biology and a minor in Math in spring of 2010. She had lots of offers around the nation for PHD programs and landed at a great school working in a great lab. She loved it at A&M and said they prepared her well.