Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

Is a D passing?

123abc456123abc456 Posts: 515Registered User Member
edited April 2011 in Texas A&M University
I might get a D in one of my classes, so I was wondering if that's still passing? Also, what happens if I end up with a F? By that I mean, will I have to take the class and will the grade be counted in my GPA. And say if I do end up with a D, and I re-take the class and get a B the second time, then which grade will be counted for the class? Thanks.
Post edited by 123abc456 on

Replies to: Is a D passing?

• TXAggie92TXAggie92 Posts: 341Registered User Member
    I believe D's are passing and count as 1 point for your GPA. Even though a D is passing I know that a C is required in many engineering courses as prereqs for future courses so passing might as well be a C. It may be similar for your CBK's. I think if you retake the class the higher grade will count.

Basically a D is passing but depending on your degree program/major it may or may not actually count. A D in an elective course is probably fine.
  • 123abc456123abc456 Posts: 515Registered User Member
    Oh, well I'm in BIMS and the class is BIOL 112, but I think the same rules apply. Thanks.
  • derekallen2009derekallen2009 Posts: 437Registered User Member
    I think I heard something too, that D's won't transfer to A&M anymore. Somewhat relevant...lol.
  • klparker312klparker312 Posts: 970Registered User Member
    back in my day, a D would not be accepted if it was a course in your major. If you had to retake, the D you made does not go away - if the new grade is acceptable it will be counted towards your course work - and the new grade is also averaged in your gpa.
    This may have changed.
  • btn1229btn1229 Posts: 106Registered User Junior Member
    a D is technically passing; it offers 1pt toward your GPA/GPR but thats not an ideal grade, you'll have to review your degree plan (on your major's department's website) and see for yourself. some majors will accept a D for a nonvital class, here is an example for the human resource development major: http://eahr.tamu.edu/uploads/files/Undergraduate%20forms/HRD%20Cat%20130-135rev.pdf

if you are a freshman, you can use a freshman exclusion, but that has its own set of consequences that you'll have to consult a financial aid advisor about
  • MD MomMD Mom Posts: 6,728Registered User Senior Member
    As someone told my neice when she was upset about a D, D is for diploma. lol
  • aGGieENGiNeeRaGGieENGiNeeR Posts: 912Registered User Member
    At this point, if you don't want to take the gpa hit, just skip out on the final, take the F, and Freshman grade exclude it. You are going to have to take the class again if you get a D anyways. This is all assuming you are a freshman.