Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

Chances and Major

Nicoleg13Nicoleg13 Posts: 91Registered User Junior Member
edited November 2012 in Texas A&M University
For any of you who are familiar with A&M's admissions, what are my chances?

Weighted GPA: 3.95
UW: 3.3ish (my school doesn't show me it on my transcript)
Rank:121/648 (top 19%, school is very competitive and i'm certain that a&m knows this).
SAT: 1170 (CR 520, Math 650)
ACT: still waiting on scores
President of FCCLA
NHS and several other EC's
employed for 6 months through junior year,
employed for 6 months through senior year (and currently still working)
60 volunteer hours
2 letters of recommendation
spent a lot of time on essays
campus visit and residence hall tour
In-state

i know my CR SAT score needs work, i am signed up for the decemeber SAT.
but if my SAT score does not improve (although i think it will) what are my chances with the score I have now?

ALSO, is anyone familiar with the Nutrition Science major? is it competitive at all?
i know it is nothing compared to engineering but i just hope that the spots aren't filled up.

Thanks in advance!
Post edited by Nicoleg13 on

Replies to: Chances and Major

• Nicoleg13Nicoleg13 Posts: 91Registered User Junior Member
    292 views and no reply? can someone please answer? i just want an honest opinion.
  • Faith2017Faith2017 Posts: 44Registered User Junior Member
    I feel your pain. I wish I could tell you something but I myself have no idea. I am applying just like you.
    Ah, thanks for the reply though! Are you a review admit?
  • Faith2017Faith2017 Posts: 44Registered User Junior Member
    Your welcome, I know it sucks not to have anybody reply to you.. And yes I sure am.
    I wish a&m didn't make it so difficult for a review admit... This is stressing me out. But I hope the best for both of us!
  • aggie88aggie88 Posts: 41Registered User Junior Member
    Hi, For top 25%, they want 1300 composite SAT, can you retake? Do you have a unique quality that stands out? The admission guy at out Prospective Student Session emphasized that bigtime, to put in essay C. My daughter just got accepted as a review app with a 1360, her math was a little low to be auto academic admit. I would keep studying and retaking the SAT and ACT! A&M is so worth the hard work! :)
    Well they only want a 1300 for automatic admission. I'm going to take the SAT again in December, but as much as I would like to, I don't think I will get a 1300. I'm hoping to improve my CR SAT score though. Thanks for your input, congrats to your daughter!
  • rushedmomrushedmom Posts: 625Registered User Member
    It's so hard to say on a review admit because it really depends on the others applying. Last year it was pretty competitive and my D had friends that waited until early March to hear back.
    I think your SAT might be a little on the low side. Hopefully your ACT scores will put you more in range.
    Make sure you have a well written essay (on essay C) maybe ask an English teacher at your school to proof read and give feedback..

Good luck to you
    Well I already turned it in, I wanted to be on the early side turning it in since I know review admits are so competitive. But thanks for your input, I hope my ACT scores were better as well.
  • cromettecromette Posts: 2,614Registered User Senior Member
    Congratulations on being such a great student. Good luck on your ACT. If you could get that reading score to a 600, I think you'd be a pretty solid bet. As it is, I think you have a shot. Would you consider Blinn Team?

That degree is one that is listed on the TAP program.

Transfer Articulation Program (TAP)
    Considering Blinn Team only because I live in the area. But I would really like to get into A&M.. And yeah I know I need to bring it my CR score to a 600 :/ hopefully the SAT in December goes well.
  • TXMom95TXMom95 Posts: 40Registered User Junior Member
    Good luck, Nicoleg! If your ACT composite is at least a 30, you will be an auto admit--hopefully you'll get good news when your scores arrive. The SAT requirement is 1300, with a minimum of 600 on both Math and CR. Are you doing any sort of review course or self-study to boost your CR?

The average SAT this year for the whole freshman class was 1220 and average ACT was 27, so if your scores end up at or near that point, you'll have a good chance as a review admit. Otherwise, Blinn Team is certainly a good option for you.
    Self-study mainly for the SAT. Hopefully that will help enough to boost my score to at least the average of 1220.