Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

Grade Exclusion-What is it?

andy09andy09 Posts: 257Registered User Junior Member
edited December 2009 in Texas A&M University
I just recently posted on the forum a couple days back and i was wondering if y'all could give me any more info.
So im a freshman chemE major and With the first semester over I have all 'A's thus far with the exception of Chem111 (chem lab) in which I got a 'D'...(It was a one credit hour course so i inadvisedly didn't try too hard)...since it is not required for the CBK i was thinking of using a freshman grade exclusion...is this advisable? How do I go about this?
Including the D, I would have a 3.72 GPA
and without i would have a 4.0
If i do decide to exclude, will it show up on my transcript?
Thanks in advance!!!
Post edited by andy09 on

Replies to: Grade Exclusion-What is it?

• klparker312klparker312 Posts: 970Registered User Member
    USE IT!
    You only get the opportunity to use it while a freshman.
    I'm not sure how it shows up on transcript - but USE IT!
  • klparker312klparker312 Posts: 970Registered User Member
    I am sorry I posted above advice. I thought the grade exclusion gave you the credit but excluded the grade - I am not sure that is the way it works. I would go to advisor and check it out, you may have to repeat the course.
    SO BE SURE before you use it. Unless you want to repeat the course for a better grade.

My advice is now to - CHECK before you use it.
  • gsteingstein Posts: 1,493Registered User Senior Member
    The grade exclusion does NOT give you credit, and does NOT count towards your GPA. If you use it, you'll have to retake the class. It is essentially a Q-Drop, however there is no deadline to use it (when there is with a Q-Drop). However, on your transcript it will show whatever letter grade you received in the class, instead of a Q. My advice is: use it and save your Q-Drops! They will be valuable in upper-level classes.
  • XcelleratorXcellerator Posts: 1,678Registered User Senior Member
    You know they curved some for the Chem 111 lab, right? The final was ridiculous (which I failed) and was the worst grade I have gotten so far here. I initially got a B (87.5ish), but in the end, it shows on howdy (grades came out today) that I got an A! So you might not have to use anything if they curved well for you! I was so happy because that class was my only worry b/c of the B, but now it's starting off my freshmen semester with a 4.0!! :DDD