I'm currently a theatre student at the University of Wyoming, on exchange to Queens College in NYC, but I'm considering a transfer to the University of Minnesota. My dad lives in Minneapolis, so I would get in state tuition and obviously free room & board
I would just like to get a general opinion of the program at the U of M, from current students, if possible.
1) From what I can tell, the curriculum seems to be fairly varied and you can take classes in a pretty wide variety of theatre topics (i.e. musical theatre, classical, etc.) Do you feel like you are able to take classes that suit your interests for the most part?
2) I know that the U of M is not a musical theatre school BUT do you feel like there is sufficient opportunity to take MT classes and get experience?
3) Do you like the faculty? Do you feel like they are genuinely there to teach or are they there to tell you about their own acting experience?
4) Do you feel like there are enough opportunities to perform? That is one of my main concerns, as UW only puts on 3 productions per semester and QC only puts on 1 per semester. From what I've read, it seems like there are a fair amount of productions at the U of M, but I want to make sure what I'm reading isn't misleading me.
5) I know that Minneapolis is not New York by any stretch of the imagination, but do you feel like there is sufficient access to professional theatre?
6) This is a shot in the dark, but does anyone have any experience with Equity productions in the Twin Cities?
If I don't transfer to the U of M, I will more likely than not stay in NYC and continue at QC. The reason I'm considering U of M is mainly because of the fact that it will save me a considerable amount of money, while still getting a degree from a very good school. My concerns are mainly related to the performance opportunities. I know that Minneapolis is not NYC, and that I won't be able to see Broadway shows with any regularity, won't have as much access to professional theatre, less opportunity for outside training, etc. But I've been in Minneapolis and they seem to have a pretty good theatre community in general.
My eventual plan is to go on to get my MFA in Acting as well, if that helps with any of the potential answers. Any and all advice, experience, answer, comments or anything will be much appreciated!