Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

gpa for acting major?

ellebudellebud Posts: 2,328Registered User Member
edited March 2006 in Theater/Drama Majors
My daughter is an actress wants to major in acting in college. Her grades are mediocre from a extremely competitive high school. She tends to test well. She has a few professional acting credits and modeling credits. Does anyone know what the gpa is for USC (I asked on the USC site, no answer) entrance? I know that there is an audition requirement, and I know that she isn't worried about that. I also know that technically SC looks at grades as low as 3.3 or .4 for specialized schools. Any people out there more information? I also know that UCLA accepts as low as 3.2 officially per the state, but again any stats out there?

Thank you so much in advance.
Post edited by ellebud on

Replies to: gpa for acting major?

• ElliottsMomElliottsMom Posts: 362Registered User Member
    I have no specific information for you. However, in reviewing my notes about theater programs and academic emphasis, I found the following information (written by Mary Anna, a coach in the Dallas area, she posts on the Musical Theater forum)

Most emphasis on academics:
    NYU/Tisch
    USC
    UCLA
    Northwester
    Boston U.
    U of Michigan

Medium emphasis on academics:
    Carnegie-Mellon
    SMU
    North Carolina School of the Arts
    Emerson
    Syracuse
    Ithaca
    U. of Evansville
    Indiana
    U. of Miami

Less emphasis on academics:
    Webster
    U. of the Arts
    Elon
    Cal Arts
    Oklahoma City U.
    Florida State
    SUNY Purchase
    Otterbein
    Oklahoma U.
    Boston Conservatory

My son has a 3.2 gpa and we wouldn't even consider an of the schools in the "most emphasis" group.
  • ellebudellebud Posts: 2,328Registered User Member
    Thank you for your input. Although my daughter is a sophmore now I suspect that her gpa will be in the 3.5 range by her senior year. Since she is a working actor (more auditioning than acting as per usual) to leave Los Angeles wouldn't be the best idea....so ...we shall see..This certainly gives her something to work towards.