Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

What exactly does Major/Minor mean?

ShilahShilah Posts: 2Registered User New Member
edited July 2009 in Theater/Drama Majors
I want to do Psycology and Acting. I am planning to go to UCLA. I am only 14 years old but whatever, why not just know now? I have heard it is not possible to take Acting as a Minor and Psycology as a major there, so what can I do?

Taking Psycology as a minor, how will that be compared to taking it as a major? Will there be a smaller chance for me to be a psycologist(sp?) if I take it as a minor?

Can somebody explain exactly what minor and major is?

Post edited by Shilah on

Replies to: What exactly does Major/Minor mean?

• theater momtheater mom Posts: 534Registered User Member
    Hi, Shilah:

In most cases, you need to take some core courses and additional elective credits in a subject to major or minor in it. When you apply to graduate school, which you would need to do to be a psychologist, they’ll ask for you to have taken some specific courses as prerequisites and, if you haven’t majored in the subject, you might not have taken enough of the prerequisites. However, you can take these after you graduate college but before graduate school, at a community college or a university or college extension.

At some colleges, it is not only possible to minor in theater, it is possible to audition for plays without either majoring or minoring in the subject so those colleges may be a better fit for you.

Good luck.