Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

Can I transfer out of University of Phoenix to NYU?

marilynn89marilynn89 Posts: 3Registered User New Member
edited December 2010 in Transfer Students
I started at the university of phoenix back in April 2010, this is my last month of my first year, however I am having a hard time deciding if I should continue there or transfer out to a 4 yr university. By the way I am also taking some classes at the local community college, just so that I would not have to pay at much at UOP. Has anyone ever transfered from UOP to a traditional 4 year college before?What are my chances of being able to transfer to NYU or anywhere? Or would you simply just suggest going full time to community college and forget UOP?

Heres some more details:

-3.5 GPA
-24 Units at UOP
-19 units from Community College
Post edited by marilynn89 on

Replies to: Can I transfer out of University of Phoenix to NYU?

• T26E4T26E4 Posts: 17,038Registered User Senior Member
    A call to NYU would be of best utility, no?
  • entomomentomom Posts: 23,658Registered User Senior Member
    I would recommend CC over a for profit college any day. Getting good FA or scholarships is difficult for transfers in general, but NYU is particularly expensive (living in NYC) and is widely known to give poor FA.
  • annikasorrensenannikasorrensen Posts: 1,487Registered User Senior Member
    If you want to graduate from a traditional brick-and-mortar 4 year college, your best bet for transfer is probably Community College. That said, calling colleges and asking them if they take transfer students from UOP is only going to give you a partial answer in that most admissions offices are going to be very wary of telling anyone if they have any prejudices against UOP or other online-schools or for-profit schools.

My guess is that the more competitive the 4 year school is, the more that UOP is not going to help you. You have a combo of CC and UOP and that is actually a plus--transfer schools are going to want to see that the transfer student does well in a "traditional" classroom setting. (I really know very little about UOP, but the few things I ran into had me feeling it was a somewhat non-traditional setting/style of schooling.)

Your best piece of info and I don't know how to find this is to talk to other UOP students who managed to transfer to 4 year colleges.

Lacking that info, I think CC is your best bet -- make sure you take all your GE/transfer classes and shoot for a great transfer app.

A 3.5 is a good transfer GPA but not necessarily a shoo-in for places like NYU.
  • marilynn89marilynn89 Posts: 3Registered User New Member
    Thanks everyone for your replies, I contacted a few UOP students that have transfered out and a few have been able to go to ASU or U of A, and most if not all of their credits were accepted at those universities. However I will stay at the community college for spring semester just to finish the last couple of GE requirements I need. I also went ahead and called NYu and was told by an admissions counselor that they have accepted a few uop students in the past.