Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

NYU Transfer as a Sophomore

alexrodriguez11alexrodriguez11 Posts: 53Registered User Junior Member
edited September 2011 in Transfer Students
Hi, I just graduated from High School. I applied to NYU this year but sadly, did not get in. Instead, I am now going to the University of Miami. Tuition is free for me because my dad works for the medical school. I was wondering what the process, statistics, chances, etc. was for transferring after freshman year for sophomore year to NYU. NYC is where my heart is and I love NYU so much. I would love to be able to study there for my sophomore year. I am not even sure when the applying for transferring begin. Many say it is easier to get into college by transferring but is that true with NYU? I would most probably apply to the College of Arts and Sciences, btw.

My SAT scores from highschool were not very high, nor was my gpa but I plan to really succeed at UM. Should I re-take my SAT to better my chances this year?
Post edited by alexrodriguez11 on

Replies to: NYU Transfer as a Sophomore

• meShannonmeShannon Posts: 277User Awaiting Email Confirmation Junior Member
    If you could not get in for your freshman year and with lower SAT scores and GPA, it will be very difficult to get in as a sophomore because your high school grades will still be considered.
  • alexrodriguez11alexrodriguez11 Posts: 53Registered User Junior Member
    That's why I was wondering if I should retake my SAT this year.
  • meShannonmeShannon Posts: 277User Awaiting Email Confirmation Junior Member
    That still wont negate your hs GPA and are you certain NYU will even take it orif it will hold as much weight as a college student.

Your "safest" bet would be to at least get a year under your belt and let time pass from your high school stats.
  • alexrodriguez11alexrodriguez11 Posts: 53Registered User Junior Member
    I was wondering if the choice of classes mattered? I am undecided and so I am taking many different classes to see what it is I gravitate towards so that I can choose a major for sophomore year. I am taking Math, Art History, Political Science, Psychology and Sociology. Next semester, I am taking an English class (I placed out of the English class for first semester because of my ACT score) and probably a science class 2nd semester as well, because pre-med could be an option for me.

If I get straight A's, do the classes I take matter? I know online it says that most transferees are in liberal arts courses but that's all it pretty much says.