College Confidential’s “Dean,” Sally Rubenstone, put together 25 of her best tips. Get your free copy of the "25 Tips from the Dean" eBook and get helpful advice on how to choose a college, get in, and pay for it: http://goo.gl/9zDJTM
My parents are considering a move from Oregon to West Virginia in the next year, right when I am prepared to transfer from community college to university. I asked them to just stick it out for two more years so I could graduate, but they really hate it here, and will only stay if the house is not foreclosed. However, even then they are considering trying to sell it and move away before the next winter. The earliest they could move is around the first of April, because they have agreed to let me finish my last term so I can graduate with an associate and have all the lower-level coursework for my major complete.
My original plan was to transfer to the University of Oregon in spring as an English major. However, if I were to choose to move with my parents to West Virginia I could transfer to West Virginia University or Marshall University in the fall.
I bet you can guess my dilemma: I am heavily reliant on living with my parents here in Oregon without it, I simply cannot attend school. It costs too much to live on my own here, and working the amount required to do so would harm my grades. I am going to have a transfer GPA of 3.5, and I will probably graduate from university with a 3.8. My guess is that working will reduce it to a 3.2, making it much harder to get in graduate school if I choose to go, and even worse, less time to spend networking or participating in activities on campus or what is relevant to my major. I want both of those options available to me, and having to work places limitations on my time.
But the bottom line is that I cannot afford to attend UO if my financial aid comes out short, and that is possibility. You might ask yourself: why not take out loans? I cannot; my parents credit is 390, and I have no extend family that would allow it either. Why not live with a friend? No one is capable of taking me in. What about financial aid? My mother makes 40-60K a year, and UO can be really stingy with this group. I could come up $2000-$8000 short. Parental aid? My parents will be providing no aid except during gift times like my birthday and Christmas, and that is probably only going to be $200 total a year. And since they are moving to West Virginia well come on, do you expect them to be rolling around in riches?
Of course, why not just transfer to WVU or MU? Well, WVU may be out since my parents have no wish to move to Morgantown, and I could not afford housing. My brother had to switch to MU since WVU is too expensive. WVU and MU are not as good as UO on a general level, and UO already has a great English program.
I am in a situation where I am pretty much financially doomed no matter what, and I have no idea what is the better option. I know no matter what I am going to be financially oppressed by the situation, and I could really use some advice on how to prepare for this situation, and what I can do to make my decision.
The kicker? Ive got about five weeks to do it. My parents will make the decision sometime in January, and I have until February 15 to get all my paperwork in order, apply to all the scholarships (which I am unlikely to get at my income level). I am going to have to spend around $150 just to apply to the schools, which is why I have not done it already. That is a lot of money, and I cant go spending it uselessly. I just wish there was a good school out there I could afford but no schools are particularly friendly financially to transfers at my availability of funds, even though I could get into most of them.
I would not know of my financial aid package until MUCH later - around April, probably, which is a real problem. It leads me to consider deferring a transfer to UO to Fall if my parents are moving, simply so I could easily transfer to a West Virginia school if next year's came out too short. But I just do not know what to do.
How can I better deal with this situation? What do I need to know? Anyone else deal with this kind of situation? What did you end up doing?