Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

Official UPENN Fall 2012 Transfer Thread

MJG678MJG678 Posts: 214Registered User Junior Member
edited June 2012 in Transfer Students
Hey!
I didn't see a thread similar to this one, but figured I would start one because I noticed several fellow applicants!
Post edited by MJG678 on

Replies to: Official UPENN Fall 2012 Transfer Thread

• psiovanapsiovana Posts: 174Registered User Junior Member
    Apply for CAS math

Current University: Vanderbilt University
    Fall courses:Cal 3, intermediate microecon, Java, Composition
    Current GPA: 4.0 out of 4.0
    Spring semester: Data Structure and C++, Mathematical Statistics, Existential Fictions, Linear Algebra, Intermediate Macro, Statistics Lab
    (All sopho and junior standing). Mid-term report: 4.0
    Rec: one from math professor and one from econ professor. Both are really good--I am the best student in their classes.

High School (international):
    GPA: 3.8 (GPA deflation Chinese high school. no 4.0 in grade because we count 100 as a 4.0 and 3.6 as a 90. 3.8 means my average of all scores is 95.)
    HS Rank: 15/570
    SAT: 2230
    SAT 2: Math level 2: 800, Chemistry: 780, Physics: 780
    AP(all 5): US history, Micro, Macro, Cal BC, Chemistry.

EC's:
    Research assistant at Vanderbilt Medical Center, statistics work
    Vanderbilt Mobile Applications Team
    Vanderbilt Computer Science Club
    Vanderbilt Math Club
    Vanderbilt Student Volunteer for Science
    Internship at a consulting company, statistics and analysis
    President & Co-founder of a Volunteer Society, interviewed by national TV
    Captain of secondary school debate team
    Journalist at a News Agency, several articles on national newspaper
    Public Sector at an NGO

Awards, Achievement, and Recognition:
    ACM-ICPC regional final
    Best representative in MUN
    Best debater in regional contest
    Vanderbilt Dean's list
    AP scholar with distinction
    High school model student

Reasons: my major is math and I am very interested in applied math and statistics. But Vandy does not offer a statistics major nor an applied math major. Moreover, for my secondary major Econ, Vandy does not have a good connection of econ and math. And since I want to start my own enterprise after graduation, Nashville, a small city in the south, cannot provide me with enough international environment and internship/job opportunities.

Financial Aid Needed?:
    No
  • HopesToBeAHoyaHopesToBeAHoya Posts: 176Registered User Junior Member
    YES!!! A Penn transfer thread has appeared...We should hear in about 2 months and a week; hahahha quite sometime, but let's hope it passes quickly.
  • DivZeroDivZero Posts: 244Registered User Junior Member
    In.

Community college transfer from California.

4.0 and decent test scores

Mechanical Engineering
  • MatisyahuMatisyahu Posts: 847Registered User Member
    Hey I'm not applying to Penn, but GOOD LUCK GUYS.
    I hope you all get in, UPENN is a great school. XD
  • star3x8star3x8 Posts: 54Registered User Junior Member
    Applying as an English major.

OK test scores- 2030. 4.0 after two semesters in college (one semester from high school). Hoping my extracurriculars will help- research conferences, competitive figure skating, writing, dancing, mentoring, vice-president of the English club, etc. One can hope!
  • MJG678MJG678 Posts: 214Registered User Junior Member
    official deadline for submission was today.... It's safe to say the nerve wrecking wait has begun.
  • cudreamscudreams Posts: 76Registered User Junior Member
    Hi guys! New to CC (Even though I was an avid stalker as a high schooler)... I'm applying to transfer to SAS and am super nervous!
  • GregFieldsGregFields Posts: 278Registered User Junior Member
    I'm applying, though I don't really expect much.
    @gregfields don't worry! admissions just always seem to be a crap shoot...

@cudreams. pretty nervous too, but glad to see that others are out there too! anyone else freaking out?

also I still have missing documents, has anyone been contacted about missing documents yet?
  • BlackRose21BlackRose21 Posts: 608Registered User Member
    @MJG678
    yeah i'm kind of freaking out. I still have missing documents. It says that my recommendations and application fee is not satisfied. I called last week and they told me not to worry or rely too much on UPenn Portal because the stuff that they update on ur account is not always up to date.

around when do we find out if we get in? i think from another forum last year i think i saw like around the second week of may.
    Ah good to know! Thanks for passing the info along... I guess now I can try to relax and enjoy my spring break and stop checking everything obsessively... oh wait, that won't happen.

According to last year's thread they heard back the second Thursday in May I think, so that would be May 10th for us this year.
  • roy690248483roy690248483 Posts: 41Registered User Junior Member
    Is SAT strictly required?
    The SAT or the ACT plus writing MUST be submitted. @roy69024843 technically no because you can submit an ACT score instead.
  • BlackRose21BlackRose21 Posts: 608Registered User Member
    depends on what yeah your coming in as. for example if u are currently a sophomore trying to come in as a junior than i know for sure no. i don't even think they look at SAT as a freshmen trying to come in as a sophomore due to the whole purpose of the SAT/ACT is to see how well u would perform you first year in college.

is this the only UPenn 2012 transfer discussion board. I thought for sure that the UPenn one would be more crowded but this is the only one that's really talking about transfers.
  • roy690248483roy690248483 Posts: 41Registered User Junior Member
    @MJG678 What if I don't want take either of that? Do I still have chance if I built some robotic stuff or sth else?
    I am gonna transfer as sophomore
This discussion has been closed.