Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

Where can my dear cousin go?

RomulusRomulus Posts: 179Registered User Junior Member
edited April 2012 in Transfer Students
GPA: 3.85
H.S GPA: 2.6ish
SAT: 2100
E.Cs: Nothing substantial, just a few community service projects and sits on an advisory committee for local school district

URM status

He's a CC student transferring for Junior year. I think he has excellent writing skills and can share his very interesting story. No doubt he'll be accepted at the local flagship, but do you guys think there's a good chance of being admitted into a prestigious school, or will his CC stigmatize him.
Post edited by Romulus on

Replies to: Where can my dear cousin go?

• SonybdSonybd Posts: 122Registered User Junior Member
    I love the use of the phrase "dear cousin" it reminds me of a Jane Austin novel or something.

I think most private schools ranked 20-40 will be a high reach. But it's worth it to apply to schools ranked below 40 if you have any particulars in mind. The good thing is his SATs are good (it matters a little bit whether that score is from HS or College though) and he's transferring as a JR, not a soph.

He should talk to the transfer coordinator at his CC.
  • RomulusRomulus Posts: 179Registered User Junior Member
    Why are they such a reach? He''s URM with high SAT scores, shouldn't all colleges be gobbling him up?
  • SonybdSonybd Posts: 122Registered User Junior Member
    Transfer admissions are more competitive, and I'm unsure whether FinAid is an issue for your cousin, but traditionally need-aware with less merit scholarships as well.

With that said, however, I hate to discourage people from applying as no one knows what his application will look like other than his admissions counselors. And obviously this is all a generalization when not speaking about a particular school, so he should reach out to his transfer coordinator if he has one, and you should encourage him to apply to reaches--just not too many.