Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

Transfer Chances U.Va, UNC, Duke...Will Chance Back

kpeterson2011kpeterson2011 Posts: 101Registered User Junior Member
edited November 2012 in Transfer Students
Hello All,

I am looking to transfer to the following schools:
UNC-Chapel Hill
U.Va
Duke
University of Connecticut

I am a Sophomore at East Carolina University looking to transfer out. Credentials:

High School
GPA 2.7
SAT 1580
Extra Curriculars:
President of Hands on Science/Engineering Club
Varsity Swimming
Many Awards for excellence-Poli Sci, Physics, Auto Tech, California Book Award for Architecture etc.

University
Economics-Quantitative
GPA 3.7
Extra Curriculars:
VP of Financial Management Association
VP of External Affairs: Beta Theta Pi
Co Founder and VP of Wall Street Trading Club
Unofficial College of Business Alumni Greeter
Trade options/equities in spare time
10 years playing drums
Many other various hobbies

Internships:
Ridgefield Capital(mid sized hedge fund)
Broad Street Trading Group(small hedge fund)
Floor of the NYSE: DLb Securities(options brokerage firm)
as of summer 2013 Internship at Tudor Investments

Other Work Experience:
Day Laborer at an excavation company
Laborer for a tree service
Fry Cook at baseball stadium concessions at my school

Hook for U.Va: working for one of their biggest alumni Paul Tudor Jones also known for the John Paul Jones arena.

So what do you guys think?
Post edited by kpeterson2011 on

Replies to: Transfer Chances U.Va, UNC, Duke...Will Chance Back

• kpeterson2011kpeterson2011 Posts: 101Registered User Junior Member
    Also, I'm in state for Uconn
  • BruinsJEWBruinsJEW Posts: 1,049Registered User Senior Member
    I think you have a strong shot at both UNC and UConn. UVA is a match as well, but if you're looking to get into McIntire, I'd say that your chances are minimal. Unless you can get a handwritten letter from Paul Tudor Jones or him to speak with the admissions committee, I'd say it's next to none. You'll be competing with students looking to transfer from other top schools just to get into UVA's B-School.

Though, I see you're an Econ major at ECU. If you plan to continue on the Econ track, I'd say you have a pretty good chance at UVA.

As for Duke, you could apply but it's almost a guaranteed denial. Transferring into
    Duke is a tough cookie to crack and usually they want students who are transferring from Top 20 schools, aside from CC and untraditional applicants.
    I actually agree with you but I a friend who works for Duke claims I would have no problem getting in. I am skeptical to say the least which is why I am asking opinions on here. It would be nice but I don't think myself and Mr. Jones are quite on that level yet. haha. Economics being a part of the Arts and Sciences I don't think I need to worry about McIntire.
    Thanks for the input!

Anyone else?
  • earlygrad123earlygrad123 Posts: 226Registered User Junior Member
    @Bruinsjew:
    sorry for creeping on the forum...but how does Duke feel about CC/nontraditional students?
    Oh, and as for chancing.
    I think you have a strong chance at UNC and UCONN and UVA.
    I'd say Duke is a bit of a reach, but your EC are very, very strong and you should definitely still apply.
    Thanks for the input, I often wonder if my ECs aren't diversified enough.
    I think when you're applying as a transfer, it's more important that your EC's reflect your interest in major. i would say your EC's are pretty diverse, they're just all within a general interest of econ/business. like i said, this would probably be viewed as a positive attribute on your apps.
  • Tomeu11Tomeu11 Posts: 136Registered User Junior Member
    How many units do you have so far? are you trying to transfer in the spring to any of these? Duke is a biiiiig reach not matter what anyone tells you, as for the other three I think you have a fair chance.
    I will have 47 credits at the end of this semester. I am only trying for fall 2013.
    I will have 47 credits at the end of this semester. I am only trying for fall 2013.
  • Tomeu11Tomeu11 Posts: 136Registered User Junior Member
    Well, then the good new for you is that by the time you apply your HS records won't matter as much. If you can raise your GPA to a 3.8+ you would be in good shape to take a shot at anything, it is always a crapshot to the Ivies anyway
  • blueiguanablueiguana Posts: 7,496Registered User Senior Member
    You are better off getting a LOR from a direct supervisor then trying to get one from Mr Jones. Yes, he is an exceptionally prominent alumni, he is also known to have publicly aligned himself with the rector, Helen Dragas, last June in favor of President Sullivan's forced resignation. For those that didn't follow, we'll just say it wasn't pretty and after nearly three weeks, protests, and a vote of no confidence from the faculty, she was reinstated (and her contract just extended a year, :) ). If you were my student I'd advise you not to take a chance on someone who could be controversial.

The internship itself is valuable, just get something from a supervisor who can speak directly to your skills and work ethic. They are almost always better then a big name that isn't directly involved with the work you did.

Best of luck!
  • BruinsJEWBruinsJEW Posts: 1,049Registered User Senior Member
    @earlygrad123: I'm not fully versed on that matter, but from what I understand, Duke accepts very few CC students. The main transfers are those that transfer from other Top 20 and junior Ivies/ even Ivy leagues. Some of the schools that I have heard people transfer from were: Wash U, Northwestern, Penn, Vanderbilt, Notre Dame and I met some people from Top 50s like Miami (FL).