Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

Academic Dismissal - What are my chances?

coal1100coal1100 Posts: 2Registered User New Member
edited November 2012 in Transfer Students
After three years of university, I was issued an academic dismissal after this past spring semester for failing too many classes. It was a somewhat bewildering situation - I was never issued any formal warning from the university, nor was I put on probation because my GPA never fell below the 2.0 threshold for probation. I simply received a letter from the university in early June informing me of my dismissal. I did, however, get a chance to meet with the head academic dean in January 2012 to ask her a few questions about my failures and she was surprisingly helpful.

Although I was a full-time student on campus for three years, I currently only have junior level standing. In the months following my dismissal, I have been diagnosed with ADHD (inattentive) by a nationally recognized psychologist, and have enrolled in a cognitive behavioral treatment plan with her. Additionally, I am taking two classes (so far 4.0 in both classes) at community college. Barring any severe mishaps in my treatment/classes, I will be upgrading to a full courseload (5 or 6 classes) next semester (Spring 2013).

I initially had planned to transfer from my community college to a four year university for Fall 2013, but given my light courseload this semester, I am not so sure this will be sufficient to convince colleges that I can succeed with a "normal" amount of classes at a four year college. Personally, I have found my therapy to be enormously beneficial so far, and I think that I will be ready to return to my undergraduate studies after my next semester of classes. Assuming I can maintain a 4.0 (or 3.9+), how realistic is it that I will be accepted into a state school, or perhaps a Tier 1/Top 30 school?

FWIW, my SAT was a 2170, I've interned every summer since senior year, done some community service, was on the E-board for a club at my previous institution, and have a couple other ECs: 1. analyst for my former university's investment fund. 2. Will be co-heading (now that I'm home) a youth group for a 300+ member congregation for "real" Italian-Americans in my area (i.e. NOT jersey shore Italians, but those that actually transplanted Italian culture from Italy to America, follow traditions, speak the language, etc).

Thanks for reading; hope some advice can be offered!
Post edited by coal1100 on

Replies to: Academic Dismissal - What are my chances?