Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

Whoa. Well, I'm expelled.

BigBuddhaBigBuddha Posts: 6Registered User New Member
edited November 2012 in Transfer Students
So I just went through a long and arduous disciplinary process at my Ivy League institution. I received the decision and am facing expulsion. I will appeal, but that likely won't work.

What do I do with my life? I've looked for answers on the internet, but I can't find much. Will any other institutions accept me with this on my record? Do I apply as a transfer? Should I join the military? Become homeless?

I've done amazingly academically at my school, and have great extracurriculars and whatnot..
Post edited by BigBuddha on

Replies to: Whoa. Well, I'm expelled.

• GettingoutofcaGettingoutofca Posts: 40Registered User Junior Member
    I don't mean to pry, but I think letting us in on at least the important details might allow folks to better answer your questions.
  • BigBuddhaBigBuddha Posts: 6Registered User New Member
    It's a disciplinary violation, based on false accusations. It's not criminal or anything, but serious enough for an expulsion.
  • ccuser95ccuser95 Posts: 560Registered User Member
    If its false, then appeal...
  • rocnation951rocnation951 Posts: 240Registered User Junior Member
    Well, what is it?
    Obviously I'm appealing... But it's my word against theirs so I haven't been able to get anywhere.
    I've put up the best defense I could. I'm wondering what to do now that the decision has been made.
  • HImomHImom Posts: 18,160Registered User Senior Member
    How many years have you been in college at this point? What field(s) are you interested in? Do you have any job skills?

Can you get an attorney to help you appeal? The latter could be VERY helpful, to be sure that you have your side adequately represented, especially since you say the accusations are false. If the charge sticks and is attached to your college record, it could affect job options and other things going forward, I THINK but don't KNOW. Any attorney you retain could find out for you and also see be able to lay out your options clearly.

Before I concede I'm likely to be expelled, I would give it the best fight I could and that generally means retaining a good attorney who has experience in these matters. Talk with your folks.

Goodl luck!
  • Mufasa11Mufasa11 Posts: 53- Junior Member
    What major were you studying for?
    I have two semesters of credit. I don't have any specific job skills, and yes, I have fought for this as hard as I could. Now I'm asking what I should do now that I have lost...
  • HImomHImom Posts: 18,160Registered User Senior Member
    If you can still appeal, you still have a chance to win this. Until the appeal has been ruled upon, you have NOT lost. You still have time to get an attorney to help you, if you haven't had one to date.

I'd contact your local community college about enrolling there and try to get a part-time job while figuring out next steps. At most states, CCs have to accept all residents.

You'd have to check with your Ivy to see what is entered into your college record about this incident and expulsion, if that is what they are saying will happen. You might ask the school counselor what your options are at this point, as you are NOT the first or only kiddo who has been expelled from a school, regardless of the truth of the accusations. I'm not sure that all Us handle explusions the same way.

Our D was asked not to return to her HS due to extended (health-related) absences. Do not believe it showed up anywhere in her HS record as to why she left HS after JR year. Obviously your situation is different and you have to learn what your U will be writing in your college record and revealing if future Us and/or employers contact them. Your U should disclose this important information to you about how they will handle this so you can move forward accordingly.
    Thanks for the replies, everyone. Which universities are friendly to expelled students? Preferably universities with generous financial aid..
  • PeaPea Posts: 2,384Registered User Senior Member
  • entomomentomom Posts: 23,656Registered User Senior Member
    MODERATOR NOTE:

These are the OPs questions:
    I'm wondering what to do now that the decision has been made.
    Which universities are friendly to expelled students? Preferably universities with generous financial aid..

Further posts requesting details of the expulsion will be deleted.
  • comp100comp100 Posts: 99Registered User Junior Member
    what are OPs?
  • jandjdadjandjdad Posts: 532Registered User Member
    OP- original poster....aka person who started the thread.