Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

How bad will this look on my transfer applications?

sayanorasayanora Posts: 9Registered User New Member
edited November 2012 in Transfer Students
I think my course-load seems too scattered and light in order to be competitive for transferring...I've been looking at liberal arts schools like Williams, Rice, and Pomona.

Freshman year first semester:
Intro to Econ (4) A
Calc II (4) A-
English Class (4) A-
History breadth class (4) P [took it pass/no pass]
Total graded units: 12

Second semester:
Chem I (4) A
Astronomy (3) A
Metabolism Class (3) A
Psych I (3) A
Total graded units: 13
Also had some pass/no pass electives

Sophomore year:
Chem II (5) will probably get an A
Physics (4) will probably get an A
Math III (4) will probably get an A
---upper div anatomy--- (3) will probably get a C or B minus... am trying to figure this stupid situation out right now.

If I drop this bio class, I will only have 13 graded units.

Thoughts on my schedule? I'm in quite a messy predicament right now. I'm really worried about how my course-load will affect my chances. I do have a decent GPA and extracurriculars but I don't know if the light course-load will cancel this out.
Post edited by sayanora on

Replies to: How bad will this look on my transfer applications?

• sometransfersometransfer Posts: 126Registered User Junior Member
    Yes, you have a very scattered schedule. For liberal arts colleges, there are a lot of open electives anyway. The difficulty of your course load is fine because you have a full Calculus sequence, a full chemistry sequence, and some physics in there. Of course, you would need to declare a major with all those courses are requirements, such as math or chemistry. The problem is Pomona and Williams (and most top liberal arts colleges) are super-selective for transfer students. Unless you are applying from a college of near-equal ranking, which I assume otherwise, your chances are low.

I consider Rice a research university, but the transfer acceptance rate there is much higher than Amherst. Again, your chances depend on your declared major - you are far behind for something like engineering, but math should be possible. Make sure to focus your studies next semester.