Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

Bad GPA... questions?

ReckieReckie Posts: 346Registered User Member
edited November 2012 in Transfer Students
I'm currently a HS senior looking at an 86.5 GPA for freshman-Junior year. Since senior year won't factor in; I'm locked in with my 86.5.(3.2?) Being brutally honest here: I have very few EC's, and a 2100? SAT.

Since I won't be able to get into schools like Cornell, Emory, or CM; I'm thinking about going to college locally and then transferring out. Since my mother is a professor at a college near my house; I can go there for free.

How long will I have to stay at this local college before I can apply(with a 4.0 hopefully) to another school?

Off topic question: The gen-ed requirements at many schools I'm looking into say you must take courses in "Language and Communication - Composition, Oral Communication and Foreign Language." Does this mean I'll have to take SPANISH again!? nooo.. :(
Post edited by Reckie on

Replies to: Bad GPA... questions?

• that1guyythat1guyy Posts: 401Registered User Member
    I'm not sure what scale your GPA is on so I can't judge but your SAT score is decent.

To transfer, you have to stay at the college for at least two semesters before you transfer. Some schools might even require two years. Just check their websites.

Composition courses are basically college level English courses. They're required. As far as language goes, it depends on the school and on your major. If you have taken a language in high school, you should be good for that requirement. But, some majors and schools require you to take a language while in college as well.