Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Sign Up For Free

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

Help Naviance, a relative of College Confidential, fine-tune a design. You could receive a $10 gift card to Amazon. Start here: https://ethn.io/67193

Transferring from 4-year to Community.

SlickmanSlickman Posts: 7Registered User New Member
edited November 2012 in Transfer Students
I am currently attending a 4-year college in Brooklyn, about to finish my first semester. My family plans on moving to San Diego after I finish my second semester, so I will be a lower-division transfer student. Most colleges do not accept lower-devision transfers and the ones that I have found are quite expensive.

My question is: if I transfer to a Community college, will the credits that I have accumulated in my 4 year college (mainly CORE classes and some electives) transfer over? I am not quite sure how this all works. Any help will be appreciated.

Thank you.
Post edited by Slickman on

Replies to: Transferring from 4-year to Community.

  • happymomof1happymomof1 Posts: 23,446Registered User Senior Member
    The might transfer, they might not. Everything depends on the place you transfer to.

    Why can't you stay at your current school? That would make more sense academically.
  • SlickmanSlickman Posts: 7Registered User New Member
    I am asking this with the assumption that staying is not an option.

    My idea is: Transfer to a Community college (most likely San Diego Miramar College) after the second semester at my current college (Brooklyn College). Stay in the Community college for a year, in order to accumulate enough credits to become an upper-devision student, and then finally transfer to a college that suites me best.
  • bomerrbomerr Posts: 1,956Registered User Senior Member
    Yes they'll transfer over.

    You need to do research on the school you want to goto, some won't allow you transfer if you accumulate too many credits from a 4 yr and a CC.

    Also do research on residency, you'll pay out of state tuition if you transfer so it might be wise to get here early instead of taking another semester over there.
  • smorgasbordsmorgasbord Posts: 1,803Registered User Senior Member
    Your credits will transfer over to your next four year school. At least, they should. It's harder to go from one four year school to another in terms of transfer credits, since community colleges typically have agreements with state schools about that stuff.
  • happymomof1happymomof1 Posts: 23,446Registered User Senior Member

    If you do move, you probably will not be a state resident for at least 12 months. You also need to make very certain that if you start studying immediately in OOS status, you will be able to convert to in-state status once your family meets residency requirements. If might be better for you to work for part of that waiting period.
Sign In or Register to comment.