Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

Transfer from UM-Dearborn to UM-Ann Arbor

UMJacobUMJacob Posts: 5Registered User New Member
edited December 2012 in Transfer Students
Hello, I'm currently a junior and Economics major at the University of Michigan-Dearborn looking to transfer to the Ann Arbor campus for the fall semester. I know it's slim due especially to my low GPA, but can anyone enlighten me on my chances for an LSA transfer? I'm retaking a class I did poorly in during my freshman year (B-), so it could potentially increase to a 3.45 if I do very well next semester. Thanks!

High School GPA: 3.11
Current GPA: 3.22
-Held the same 25-40 hour per week part-time job since my senior year of high school
-Incorporated my small guitar business in November of this year
-Guest writer for the Michigan Journal with three articles published thus far
-Four year varsity soccer starter, two year captain, two all-district awards in high school
-Member of the Michigan Rush travel team throughout high school
-National Honor Society Member
-Member of my church's youth group with community service involved
-French Club member in high school with community service involved
-Diversity Club member
Post edited by UMJacob on

Replies to: Transfer from UM-Dearborn to UM-Ann Arbor

• UMJacobUMJacob Posts: 5Registered User New Member
  • joesilvahhhjoesilvahhh Posts: 36Registered User Junior Member
    It sounds like you're doing well. Transfer admission to Umich-Ann Arbor isn't nearly as selective for transfers as it is for incoming freshman. I would try to focus on the essays and really sell your reasons for transferring. Also, if you can, find someone to write a letter of rec for you. It isn't a required part of the application, but it can potentially be a big help.
    You may also want to consider transferring for summer session; it's generally a little less selective and the rent is lower.
  • UMJacobUMJacob Posts: 5Registered User New Member
    Yeah I've definitely been trying to focus more on the essay sections to sort of negate the low GPA. I was worried about how selective the process was compared to incoming freshman, so thank you for clearing that up. We'll see how things go, thanks again :)