Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
College Confidential’s “Dean,” Sally Rubenstone, put together 25 of her best tips. So far, the "25 Tips from the Dean" eBook has helped more than 10K students choose a college, get in, and pay for it. Get your free copy: http://goo.gl/9zDJTM

2017 - 2018 USC Transfer

Replies to: 2017 - 2018 USC Transfer

• awalksonmanawalksonman Registered User Posts: 59 Junior Member
    @emu_25

–It's if you have at least 30 credits at the time of application. Whether or not your AP scores will count depends on whether they'd be accepted for credit at USC which you can find here http://arr.usc.edu/services/articulation/adv_placement_exam_credit.html

–I really don't think they "heavily" weigh your high school grades, so much as they use it to get a better sense of who you are as s student. If you do great your first semester in college, that'll carry far more weight than a couple of bad grades in high school. Believe me, I got three Cs my senior year then worked my a** first semester of college. Plus you've taken 20 credits worth of APs which is pretty impressive for a high schooler.

–Unless your ACT is below 25, I don't think you should retake it. Those tests are indicators of college readiness and since you're already in college, it doesn't have as much of an influence.

Hope this helps!
  • penntouscpenntousc Registered User Posts: 1,019 Senior Member
    @awalksonman thanks for the help, I've been looking to get that clarified for awhile! However I am already set up for accounting 1 this semester, but should I be safe as long as I replace accounting 2 with a GE in the spring?
  • cjm1996cjm1996 Registered User Posts: 5 New Member
    Hey guys! I just wanted to get some feedback from you guys on what I need to work on, as I would be transferring to USC after my sophomore year. I applied this past year and was not accepted, but I want to give it another go this year.

I attend a top 20 university in the US and am majoring in marketing and digital studies. My gpa for this past year was a 3.3, and I do believe that my gpa was what ultimately hurt my chances. I write strong essays and am extremely involved outside of class, so I am hoping to get my gpa up to at least a 3.5 this year. What would my chances be with a 3.5-3.6? This summer I worked a marketing internship with a very respected company in the DC area, as well as working retail and taking macroeconomics online through my university. I already have an internship with the Hillary for America organization, and I think this will really help my case. However, I am worried that 20 hours a week will hurt my chances at getting better grades. What do you think is most important? Also, I was involved in volunteering, writing for multiple publications, and a leadership role in my school's Lean In organization. With this internship, I will have to scale back on extra orgs. Finally, will the fact that I applied in the past benefit me at all this time around? Is it easier or harder to get in as a sophomore transfer?

Thanks guys! Let me know what you think my chances are and what I can do to improve this year!
    @cjm1996 honestly if you are truly interested in getting to USC, I would drop the internship or keep that and drop your EC's so that your GPA is not affected by either of those. In transfer admissions, USC actually does not consider extra curriculars, jobs, or clubs AT ALL when reviewing applications. Their decision will be made solely based off of your GPA, essays, and general education/major prep progress. Since you will be a junior applicant (they actually admit more junior applicants to my knowledge) I would suggest completing Marshall major prep (sounds like you're a business major?) which would be accounting 1 and 2 if you have not already completed those. I think that would give you the best shot at getting accepted; But no matter what you do, GPA has got to be your #1 priority in order to get into USC. To answer the other question, yes, it is possible to be accepted into USC with a 3.5-3.6, reference @awalksonman who was accepted with spring admission as a sophomore applicant with a 3.4 GPA... maybe he/she can elaborate on anything that I left out. **ALSO to be safe, I would not recommend taking econ macro/micro as those are courses that must be taken at USC, according to Marshall's curriculum**.. Best of luck to you!!!
    @awalksonman I successfully went in and dropped my accounting today and replaced it with anatomy (should fulfill life sciences GE) so now, with the courses I'm taking this year, I'll have 32 or more credits of all transferable classes (all are on articulation). I'll have calculus completed along with the writing and diversity requirement, and the rest of my classes match the descriptions of GE courses pretty well so they should apply. Would you say there's nothing much else I can do now besides get the grades and write good essays?
  • PantafootballPantafootball Registered User Posts: 120 Junior Member
    @awalksonman I'm following the transfer guide from Usc which gives three classes that satisfy the math requirement which is business calc and cal 1 and cal 2
    @penntousc yes good call on dropping the accounting class. The way the transfer requirements are written makes me think that they want you to complete either both accounting 1 and 2 at your school or both at usc, but you can't take half of the sequence at one school and half at the other.

@Pantafootball you're right, Marshall does accept business calc. Sorry, I must've confused it with another business school I was applying to.
    @awalksonman yeah I feel a lot safer with my schedule now. I can also do undeclared as my second choice major since I'm taking all GE's so I won't be tied to any programs, just in case I were to change my mind
    edited August 2016
    @cjm1996 I think with 3.5+ gpa you have a great shot, especially when your work and ECs are taken into consideration. I'm assuming both internships contribute to your career/major in some way, and so that gives you something unique to write about in your essays. I think you should drop/drastically cut down on your volunteering and writing for publications. I'm not sure what Lean In is, but I think if it doesn't have anything to do with your major you should drop it if you think the time commitment's going to hurt your gpa. Also, congrats on your internships, they don't sound easy to get and when it comes down to it, real world work experience trumps academic experience as far as furthering your career. Unfortunately, you do have to consider the possibility that you won't get into usc or that you'll change your mind about going if you do. If either of those happen to be the case, it would really suck to have lost out on those internships, so for that reason I think you should keep them. Definitely make your gpa a priority and I really think you'll be fine. Even with your gpa, your profile already shows that you're hard working towards success and usc will really like that. Good luck with everything!
    @cjm1996 ^yes I should have clarified more.... They don't evaluate your participation in things like that, but when it comes to essays it'll make you a much more interesting applicant so definitely don't cut the internships but don't let other EC's effect your grades, that's most important to USC
  • ppminnppminn Registered User Posts: 2 New Member
    Hi everyone I'm going to apply to usc for fall 2017 as a junior applicant. I took cc classes when I was in high school. I graduated high school a year early. I took accounting 1 and 2 and will complete most of GE this fall. I'm planning to take business cal and physical science in spring and I'm worried if this will hurts at the time of application. I took accounting 1 and 2 but don't have EC's. Can anyone give me some feedback?
    edited August 2016
    @ppminn it won't hurt that you have the accounting classes since you'll be applying as a junior, that only goes for sophomores. EC's are actually not taken into consideration in the admissions process, although the experiences can help you to write stronger essays, but it's not going to make or break you. You should just make sure to complete the writing and diversity requirement (both university requirements) and to try and complete as many general education courses as possible this year. It'll help you even more if there's an articulation history between your school and USC, so I'd recommend to use this link and search your for your school. Best of luck!

https://camel2.usc.edu/articagrmt/artic_hist_range.aspx
  • ppminnppminn Registered User Posts: 2 New Member
    @penntousc I will complete all GE in spring. Since I took accounting 1&2 already, should I just focus on essay and maintain good gpa? I'm nervous if I would not admitted. I'm applying only to USC. Thanks.
    @ppminn yeah thats really all it sounds like at this point. I don't know about you but i know its usually a good idea to get started on these essays in september and USC actually has a pretty interesting writing portion this year but besides that, get as high as a GPA as you can get in these next two semesters and you should set yourself up pretty well. I do have to say though that since you're a junior applicant it really wouldn't hurt to toss out a few more applications to be safe. Prepare for the worst but hope for the best, so good luck!
  • laccstudentlaccstudent Registered User Posts: 191 Junior Member
    Hello!
    I notice that not a lot of students have posted their stats yet. Unlike UC transfer forum.
    It looks like everyone is waiting for Fall semester to be over to get their final GPA.
    :D