Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
College Confidential’s “Dean,” Sally Rubenstone, put together 25 of her best tips. So far, the "25 Tips from the Dean" eBook has helped more than 10K students choose a college, get in, and pay for it. Get your free copy: http://goo.gl/9zDJTM

HELP! Timing for transferring, school choices for transfer credits.

anondude123anondude123 Registered User Posts: 28 New Member
I'm enrolled at my CC this upcoming Fall since my end goal is to transfer. My schools are ND, Emory, Vanderbilt, UNC, UVA, UIUC (safety), UT and USC. I plan to get into their business colleges which is pretty competitive. My questions are:

1) In regards to credits, should I narrow my list to I can really nail each pre requisite? The thing is, priority is given to those with the least amount of pre-reqs left.

2) Should I transfer in Sophomore year into the CAS then internally transfer into their business schools? Or should I externally transfer into their business schools my junior year? Some say it's counter intuitive to internally transfer but my chances are simply higher, right?

Replies to: HELP! Timing for transferring, school choices for transfer credits.

• happymomof1happymomof1 Registered User Posts: 24,784 Senior Member
    Why are you starting at the CC? Did all of these places reject you as a freshman applicant? Are you a full-pay student and you are trying to keep the overall costs down?

If your grades and test scores weren't good enough to get you in as a freshman, then just one year at the CC is not going to make enough of a difference to go the internal transfer route. If your grades and test scores are good enough now to make you a viable candidate, then think about taking a gap year and applying to a better list as a freshman.

• anondude123anondude123 Registered User Posts: 28 New Member
    edited July 14
    @happymomof1 I was accepted into all my state schools and PSU. I didn't apply for ANY of these schools I want to transfer to. I just didn't find it very rationale to pay tuition for a state-flagship with the intent of transferring after a year or two. My family makes $45k with a family of 4 so I can't afford it atm.

My HS GPA was 3.4 GPA with 6 AP courses, not good enough for these schools.
  • NASA2014NASA2014 Registered User Posts: 1,860 Senior Member
    PSU is a great school. Where will you have transferred if you went to PSU for two years?
    PSU is an OOS school for me. I couldn't attend due to little financial support. I wouldn't have transferred out of it if I attended since it's an awesome school.

• NASA2014NASA2014 Registered User Posts: 1,860 Senior Member
    Why didn't you attend your state schools?
    1) My state schools are terrible in terms of my career goals.

2) Didn't get enough from FAFSA (please, before you all give me a "money is a gift not a privledge" pep talk just understand I've never complained.). I wasn't willing to pull out private loans for crappy schools.

3) Divorced family. Dad is moving to NC (UNC is my top choice next to UVA because of this), Mom is moving overseas and my Brother is graduating in a year and will leave this state.

4) Kind of tied to 3, my Mom literally woke me up, crying, telling me I can't attend my state-flagship (I was enrolled for it and ready). Divorce was official, finances weren't very solid so I wanted to make it easy on all of us and attend CC.

I'm just willing to leverage prviate money for a school that will help me to get to where I want to go.
  • AroundHereAroundHere Registered User Posts: 1,433 Senior Member
    In most state schools, its best to transfer directly into the business school or whatever major you want. There may be rules and restrictions around changing later. Stay in CC until you have the prerequisites.

Private schools may take you after one year at CC, if you can find one that gives good aid to transfers. Many do not.

You will probably have to scratch many/most of the public universities where you cannot get in-state tuition off your list for affordability issues. Check with a financial aid advisor before you apply.
    edited July 14
    I MAY be able to get UNC for instate tuition, would be willing to take a gap year if needed to make this possible, but should happen by the time I apply for transfer :)

I'm just more concerned, academically, if I can get in to these schools but with concrete FAFSA options my decision should narrow down.

@AroundHere
    Your transfer admissions chances depend on the rigor of your classes and your grades, which we don't know.
    Look at the common data sets to see overall selectivity. Transfer admissions acceptance rates can be very different from freshman rates you see in the guidebooks. You will generally have a tougher road both admissions-wise and financially at public schools where you are not a state resident.

If taking a gap year and applying next year as a North Carolina resident to community colleges and four years as a state resident is an option, I would strongly consider it. The most straightforward transfer option is staying in one state system.
    @AroundHere Classes aren't official yet. I have an idea though, assuming I complete an Associate of Science I want to go up (and complete) to Calc 2. I will also take Accounting 1 and 2. I got a 3 on the AP Micro exam so I can get that class out the way at CC and will complete Macroeconomics.

I wanted to do what you suggested, attend a CC in NC then transfer to UNC - CH. I brought up this idea to my parents and they're against it. They think I'm weird with how I want to do everything but I reassured them this is the best way to get to where I want to go. There is just a lot of uncertainty right now and I don't know what the next step is for my family. Paying OOS tuition for a CC when I can do it for free here just seems like the best option as of right now.
    I was thinking gap year until you were in state for NC. I agree it makes little sense to pay OOS for CC.
    @AroundHere Ah. The process will begin this upcoming Fall and it would take another year for him to establish residency. I would need to prove that it's not just for tuition-purposes.

Aside from that, are my school choices bad since they're mostly state schools?
    As I said, your school choices are probably bad. Unless something changes, you don't have the resources for out of state tuition. You have two years to research your options, though.
    @AroundHere Thanks for the advice.